One creditor registered default on my credit file 5 years later

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
chris998
by chris998 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:11 am
Hello,
Can you help me?
My Wife and I entered into an IVA back in Oct 2010 and finally got the completion certificate back in April 2017, now I'm trying to fix my credit file but I have one company that was included in the IVA, registering defaults on my credit file 1.5 years later, can I get this information removed or corrected on my credit file, if so how do I do it?

Thanks for your help.
Chris
Ryan
Industry Expert
Contact
by Ryan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:34 am
Hi Chris,

You'd need to contact the Company who has registered the default and get them to amend the date. Best to speak to their Data Controller. You should also check all 3 of your credit reports (Experian, Equifax and Noddle/Callcredit) if you haven't already done so as information can be recorded differently on each sometimes. If you have no joy with the Creditor the best way to make a complaint these days is on Social Media as that seems to have the quickest results.

Regards
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:30 am
I would guess that they are not registering defaulkts still -- they are merely reporting t original default -- they can only register a default once, but it is reported as still being there every month.

What you need to do is check the original default date -- this should be around the date of the start of the IVA and should have dropped off 6 years after this date.

Have a read here --- write and get the date corrected and it should drop off:

https://www.iva.co.uk/what-does-an-iva- ... dit-record
chris998
by chris998 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:46 pm
Foggy wrote:
I would guess that they are not registering defaulkts still -- they are merely reporting t original default -- they can only register a default once, but it is reported as still being there every month.

What you need to do is check the original default date -- this should be around the date of the start of the IVA and should have dropped off 6 years after this date.

Have a read here --- write and get the date corrected and it should drop off:

https://www.iva.co.uk/what-does-an-iva- ... dit-record

Foggy, thanks for the info, sorry just to confirm, am right in thinking as the company was included in the IVA, once the IVA started there should be no more defaults registered on the account from that company?
Our IVA started 20 Oct 2010 and they kept registering a default every month up to March 2013 where it was then marked as settled.
So it's not due to drop off until March 2019.
I've got all IVA details and the credit reference details showing the defaults I was going to send all this off to the company asking them to correct the record, is this the right thing to do?
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:50 am
Chris, the default can only be registered once for each debt. Every month they will then report the default as still existing -- it is not a new default each time. On your credit report there should be a default date (unless they are reporting arrears, rather than having lodged a default). This default date should be around the start date of the IVA and it should have dropped off in 2016.
If they are reporting it as arrears you can write, using the template, to insist that they default the debt with a 2010 date.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”