Over-extended

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
5 posts Page 1 of 1

Engineer

Post by Engineer » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:09 pm
hello

Having over-extended myself I now need to decide between an IVA and bankruptcy.

It was all so easy - I had a fantastic credit rating and card companies fell over themselves to give me zero percent interest and kept increasing my credit limit.

Unfortunately, I had a spell of unemployment and the card companies response was to increase the interest rate. In one case to 30% (and its not a store card!) which equates to £500 a month. I've tried negotiating a repayment plan with them, but their response is that because I'm repaying other cards I can't afford the £200 a month they want, so I have to carry on trying to pay £500+ a month… I don't get their logic!

I'm now self employed (limited company), owe £83000 to 12 cards/banks and have about £500/£600 a month for payments. I don't own any property or things of value.

I've started my research and thought I'd get opinions here.

Thanks
Michael

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:16 pm
Hi and welcome
On paper bankruptcy will be the quickest and cost effective way to deal with your debt but you will not be able to continue as a company director.
An IVA should not impact on your directorship and will return more to your creditors
Have a chat with a couple of companies/experts and explore all your options
Regards
Andam Davies

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:48 pm
If you decide to petition you can still operate a sole trader. If you propose an IVA you would need to check the articles of association but your chosen IP will advise you how to do this.

As Andy says ring around and get some free advice.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:25 pm
Why not take a look at www.iva.com for a list of companies and some reviews of these. All debt solutions can be discussed. All the best. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:53 pm
An IVA may be cleaner and less distruptive to your business, and from what you say it seems as if you could afford to offer creditors a reasonable level of repayment.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”