Paid off priority debts with a lump sum

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
jp
by jp » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:12 am
A friend has an IVA and has just retired. She received a lump sum of £10000 and used the bulk of it to pay rent/mortgage payments and council tax she owed. The mortgage arrears are because the management company did not add water charges to the rent and can back years later to claim it. Her IVA company has called her and said that she should not have paid off these priority debts and should have paid them. They have threatened her with bankruptcy, even though the amount she owns of her property is only circa £20k. She is now a pensioner but may go back to work part time . What action are they likely to take?
Radish
by Radish » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:24 am
I would suggest its the creditors who have the last say? the IVA firm at literally recovery agents who represent the people you owe money too, from my experience they are far more sympathetic. You should probably have told your IVA company your intention so they could meet with the creditors on your behalf and what to do, but this was in a situation where their were arrears and all the stress that went with it. I very much hope they see your point of view.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:55 am
I agree with Radish -- hopefully a discussion will see the creditors being sympathetic.
Lisa Thomas
Industry Expert
Contact
by Lisa Thomas » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:46 am
They could fail the IVA and she could be left facing Bankruptcy.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”