PPI and Aperture

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
14 posts Page 1 of 1
lindsey227
by lindsey227 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:08 pm
Hi
We did a full and final settlement in June 2017 got our completion cert in september, it was with debt free direct but now weve found out its now Aperture( we had no communication from either debt free or aperture to tell us this ) we only found this out as we got a letter stating we where due some PPI from the Halifax but it was being paid into the IVA :/ so i rang aperture who said we was not on the system as we had completed our IVA so i rang the halifax to tell them this but they told me Aperture had a interest in the PPI monies so sent them the money. How can they do this when they said we are no longer on the system ive tried to contact Aperture but been told i cannot ring them as im not on the system :/ so have to email which i have done 5 times but just get auto response what do i do next please
MerlinL14
by MerlinL14 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:30 pm
The PPI refund is legally an asset of the IVA supervisor, so no matter who was/is the IP of your IVA has a right to that refund to distribute to your ex creditors. In any eventuality you would not get any of that refund so I am afraid you are making a fuss out of something out of your control. Just let them get on with it, you have no redress or entitlement to the money.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:35 pm
If Aperture cannot find you "on the system" they should, in all likelyhood, return the cheque to Halifax who then, knowing Aperture had no further interest, should send it to you. However, I am sure, once Aperture link you and the cheque up, they will gain an interest.

It may be that they are unable to access your old records, in which case, again the money should come back to you ..... what it should not do, is disappear in Apertures coffers ! It belongs to your creditors, first and foremost, but, if it is impossible to distribute it to them, it should be yours.
anthony
by anthony » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:40 am
Hi,
I am having the same issue with Aperture.
I received a letter stating from Barclays I was getting PPI claim from them however it would be sent to Grant Thornton (now Aperture). Admittedly this was in 2013 when I just started my IVA, I thought nothing of it until recently, as my IVA finishes this month. When I checked Aperture said there was no record of PPI payments into my IVA.
Luckily I have kept all paperwork and went back to Barclays, they produced me a copy of the cheque, when it was issued and when it was cashed by Grant Thornton. I have sent this back to Aperture and heard nothing back for 2 months despite the automated response when you try to follow up on things.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:29 am
anthony wrote:
Hi,
I am having the same issue with Aperture.
I received a letter stating from Barclays I was getting PPI claim from them however it would be sent to Grant Thornton (now Aperture). Admittedly this was in 2013 when I just started my IVA, I thought nothing of it until recently, as my IVA finishes this month. When I checked Aperture said there was no record of PPI payments into my IVA.
Luckily I have kept all paperwork and went back to Barclays, they produced me a copy of the cheque, when it was issued and when it was cashed by Grant Thornton. I have sent this back to Aperture and heard nothing back for 2 months despite the automated response when you try to follow up on things.

Aperture is, basically, the same GT team under a new banner, so there should not be the same difficulty with accessing past records. I would suggest a formal complaint to Aperture, followed up by a complaint to their regulatory body, via the government gateway.
lindsey227
by lindsey227 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:56 am
Foggy wrote:
If Aperture cannot find you "on the system" they should, in all likelyhood, return the cheque to Halifax who then, knowing Aperture had no further interest, should send it to you. However, I am sure, once Aperture link you and the cheque up, they will gain an interest.

It may be that they are unable to access your old records, in which case, again the money should come back to you ..... what it should not do, is disappear in Apertures coffers ! It belongs to your creditors, first and foremost, but, if it is impossible to distribute it to them, it should be yours.

After a not so nice email to the PPI team at Aperture :? i have now received a reply :) Low and behold they have found my case :roll: so now they say the PPI as been distributed to my creditors which im happy with i just didnt want them just keeping if :shock: I have asked for a copy of which creditors it going to and ive also asked about the 8% interest is this the right thing to do :D

Thank you very much for the help x
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:03 am
Hi Lindsey. Firms deal with PPI in different ways, as well as change the ways they deal with it from time to time. Some used to allow you £500 from each refund and some would allow you the interest element. Most take the lot!

My firm had all of my PPI, then, a few months later, decided to allow the interest to be kept -- however they did not apply this retrospectively :(

You can ask, but do not get your hopes up. It is better to resolve yourself to getting nothing and, if you get some, it will be a bonus.
lindsey227
by lindsey227 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:14 am
Foggy wrote:
Hi Lindsey. Firms deal with PPI in different ways, as well as change the ways they deal with it from time to time. Some used to allow you £500 from each refund and some would allow you the interest element. Most take the lot!

My firm had all of my PPI, then, a few months later, decided to allow the interest to be kept -- however they did not apply this retrospectively :(

You can ask, but do not get your hopes up. It is better to resolve yourself to getting nothing and, if you get some, it will be a bonus.

Hi Foggy

Thanks again for your reply :D i only learned about the 8% on this forum so i though i would ask them :) Tbh i dont think we will get anything but worth a shot lol :D Just amazing to have the completion certificate and be done thanks again x
lindsey227
by lindsey227 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:27 am
Hi Im back again :D

Found out some new info so im confused lol (doesnt take much) right here we go, the PPI that aperture has received includes PPI for a secured loan and a mortgage that was included in the IVA is this right? because from what ive been reading on the forum its not.

Thanks again for all your help x

Lindsey
lindsey227
by lindsey227 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:46 am
lindsey227 wrote:
Hi Im back again :D

Found out some new info so im confused lol (doesnt take much) right here we go, the PPI that aperture has received includes PPI for a secured loan and a mortgage that was not included in the IVA is this right? because from what ive been reading on the forum its not.

Thanks again for all your help x

Lindsey
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:49 am
The PPI could relate to a secured loan or mortgage, but the loan or mortgage would not have been included in the debt repaid or written off in the IVA. Regarless of source the PPI is still payable into the IVA.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:16 pm
I agree with Foggy - it is an asset and is payable to creditors.
lindsey227
by lindsey227 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:44 pm
Hi

Thank you so much for your replies, i have spoke to the Halifax we have told me if it wasnt included in the IVA then i should have received the money :? i have to send them a list of my creditors both secured and unsecured but on reading more and by your replies the PPI is due to the IVA

Thank you again
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:57 pm
At least one IP, I have heard, has taken that view, but it is not commonly shared. PPI is PPI and the courts ruled that it belonged to the IVA trust.
14 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”