PPI claim

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
natasha484
by natasha484 » Wed May 02, 2018 5:51 pm
I had an Iva that completed in 2012 and was cleared off of my record in 2013. I have a ppi claim which they are saying will go to my Iva supervisor. But legally my Iva doesn’t exist anymore? How does this work?
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Wed May 02, 2018 6:14 pm
The IVA did exist and the trust created by that IVA will continue. In law it is the debts that are written off not the existence of the IVA. This has been tested in court and ruled on by people far more knowledgable that us here on the forum.
natasha484
by natasha484 » Wed May 02, 2018 10:49 pm
But if the debts are written off after a 6 year period, how do companies have a record of what is still owed to them? My Iva completed 5 years ago meaning a company has to have my records on file for 11years so far
mariah9
by mariah9 » Thu May 03, 2018 6:05 am
natasha484 wrote:
But if the debts are written off after a 6 year period, how do companies have a record of what is still owed to them? My Iva completed 5 years ago meaning a company has to have my records on file for 11years so far

Very real for me now :)
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Thu May 03, 2018 6:58 am
natasha484 wrote:

Companies have to keep records by law. They will keep them for as long as the account is operating plus at least 6 or 7 years after the account ceases, which, in an IVA, is when the IVA completes.
natasha484
by natasha484 » Thu May 03, 2018 7:02 am
But prior to the court case last year companies thought Iva’s had completed once you had your certificate?
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Thu May 03, 2018 7:06 am
natasha484 wrote:
But prior to the court case last year companies thought Iva’s had completed once you had your certificate?

No they didn't -- it has always been the case, since PPI, reared it's head that the refunds belonged to the IVA even after completion. The case came about because a debtor thought differently and the IP defended his position and won.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”