Problems with Brighthouse on IVA

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
r4c2
by r4c2 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:07 pm
Hello, I am new here! My IVA got accepted with Payplan on 13/12/17.

I am having a lot of trouble with Brighthouse. I took out a product with them in April 2016 and have paid off about 2/3 of the total balance. I no longer have the goods, I had to sell them when my car broke down last year and I had financial problems.

I told Payplan about this and as I no longer have the goods, they included Brighthouse in my creditor list as it is now classed as an unsecured loan.

They chose not to take part in the chairmans meeting and have since been calling me every hour, on the hour. When I answer, I tell them about Payplan and give my reference number, tell them to call them to discuss as I'm now in an IVA. They are very rude to me and tell me Brighthouse cannot be included in an IVA as it is a secured loan.

I was worried about this from the start as I had seen on forums/google that Brighthouse can't be in an IVA, and I am scared they are going to come to my house as I have heard how evil Brighthouse can be. I have told Payplan of my worries and they told me they will call them and speak to them but they still haven't :(

Payplan said as they are on my creditor list and it has been accepted now they have no choice legally but to be in the IVA, is this right? If so, when will it all stop? What if they turn up at my door?

I am just feeling so ill and stressed over this, I don't know what to do and it seems no-one wants to help me. I'm wondering if I have made a huge mistake.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:14 pm
I am afraid that I do not agree entirely with Payplan on this one.

At the start the goods could not be included as the loan was secured on the goods, which Brighthouse still owned. Although you sold the goods, they still belong to Brightouse, who could pursue you for selling their goods, irrespective of the IVA.

What Payplan could do now is agree with you a payment break, so you can clear the outstanding Brightouse balance.
MerlinL14
by MerlinL14 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:15 pm
Have a word with your local CAB, Brighthouse are not on the FO's Christmas list! Foggy is correct as to you selling the goods, but the FO is chasing Brighthouse for the extortionate charges they put on goods sold to those most in need. You didn't take the best course of action by selling the goods, but you have a case of mitigation due to high charges levied by Brighthouse. The FO and Trading Standards would not be happy about the bully tactics they are using to try and recover the goods, make a point of reinforcing how this is affecting your mental health. Don't worry about the goods, just get these leaches off your back by using the system that is in place to protect you.
Lisa Thomas
Industry Expert
Contact
by Lisa Thomas » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:33 pm
My stance is that they were secured creditors but as their goods have been sold they now have an unsecured shortfall and would be bound by the IVA unless they can argue fraud due to you selling their goods.
r4c2
by r4c2 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:05 pm
Hi all, thanks for your responses.

I am in such a situation now as I have been pushing Payplan all week to help me out as Brighthouse won't get off my back. But now Payplan have changed their mind and have said maybe Brighthouse are right, they can't be in the IVA.

Really?!

They told me to ring Brighthouse to see what they want me to do and then if I pay them I will have to go back to my IP to see if they can "sort something out" I am disgusted and so upset with the way I have been treated. I was promised that everything would be OK with Brighthouse as I was worried from the start, and it was all a lie. I am now in arrears with BH (that I was never in before - I stopped paying when my IVA was accepted like Payplan told me to) I would never have these arrears if I hadn't of accepted the IVA.

I have asked Payplan why they have treated me like this, I feel its so unfair. If they didnt know they should not have promised me. I have been so ill the last few weeks with stress and worry and now I don't know what to do as my IVA leaves me with no spare money to make any other payments.

Already regretting the IVA, hooray.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:12 pm
r4c2 wrote:

I am in such a situation now as I have been pushing Payplan all week to help me out as Brighthouse won't get off my back. But now Payplan have changed their mind and have said maybe Brighthouse are right, they can't be in the IVA.

Really?!

They told me to ring Brighthouse to see what they want me to do and then if I pay them I will have to go back to my IP to see if they can "sort something out" I am disgusted and so upset with the way I have been treated. I was promised that everything would be OK with Brighthouse as I was worried from the start, and it was all a lie. I am now in arrears with BH (that I was never in before - I stopped paying when my IVA was accepted like Payplan told me to) I would never have these arrears if I hadn't of accepted the IVA.

I have asked Payplan why they have treated me like this, I feel its so unfair. If they didnt know they should not have promised me. I have been so ill the last few weeks with stress and worry and now I don't know what to do as my IVA leaves me with no spare money to make any other payments.

Ask BH how much they require to repay the loan. Divide that amount by your monthly payment into the IVA. Ask BH if they will accept payments over however many months that is at whatever the IVA payment is. If they agree ask the IP to sanction a payment break to cover it --- so, for x months your IVA paymwent will go to BH to clear that all up. Then you resume IVA payments.

As this is basically Payplan's fault they should be doing all they can to assist.
r4c2
by r4c2 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:26 pm
Foggy wrote:
r4c2 wrote:

Really?!

Ask BH how much they require to repay the loan. Divide that amount by your monthly payment into the IVA. Ask BH if they will accept payments over however many months that is at whatever the IVA payment is. If they agree ask the IP to sanction a payment break to cover it --- so, for x months your IVA paymwent will go to BH to clear that all up. Then you resume IVA payments.

As this is basically Payplan's fault they should be doing all they can to assist.

Thanks for your suggestion. I have put it forward to Payplan, fingers crossed. I could clear it in two months if they give me the payment break!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”