RBS

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
49 posts Page 3 of 4
recovering
by recovering » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:08 pm
I have rhe letter.... it states
We write with reference to the above account and your claim for PPI refund
We confirm a PPI refund has been made for £3602.50 which has created a credit balance of £792.47 on your account. However as your account was included in an IVA which has been completed the credit balance is due to you. We confirm a cheque has been sent to you for £792.47 in respect of the PPI refund ......
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:14 pm
Good news!
recovering
by recovering » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:18 pm
kallis3 wrote:
Good news!

Should I still check with the dreaded CF customer service ?
MerlinL14
by MerlinL14 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:54 pm
I think the letter was originally worded " We are taking the amount that your original debt left us short after the dividends from your IVA, this leave you a wad of cash to the sum of £???. We ain't telling your ex supervisor about this as he will snaffle the whole amount as he will know we is not being totally honest in setting off the refund on a debt covered under an IVA agreement. Keep stum and spend it wisely". :wink: :wink: :wink:

I wouldn't make any communication to your IVA company and invest the refund in a bottle or 3 of a good white and some cheese and biscuits.
recovering
by recovering » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:01 pm
MerlinL14 wrote:
I think the letter was originally worded " We are taking the amount that your original debt left us short after the dividends from your IVA, this leave you a wad of cash to the sum of £???. We ain't telling your ex supervisor about this as he will snaffle the whole amount as he will know we is not being totally honest in setting off the refund on a debt covered under an IVA agreement. Keep stum and spend it wisely". :wink: :wink: :wink:

I wouldn't make any communication to your IVA company and invest the refund in a bottle or 3 of a good white and some cheese and biscuits.

I rang CF because I am not comfortable cashing the cheque
They said they want it so please cash it and pay it over
So i read them the original letter about them offsetting the money
They said they need a copy of the letter and if i am not happy about cashing it then get RBS to cancel it ? I feel like I am being made to do all the work here? I am not sure what to do
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:32 pm
Although I share Merlin's interpretation and sentiments, having rung CF, you will need to cash the cheque and pay the amount to CF. It is up to CF if they wish to pursue the illegal offsetting (doubt they will as they seem to have no stomach for a fight).
recovering
by recovering » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:54 pm
I have spoken to Allay the claims firm CF made us use. They have no knowledge of the RBS settlement and said they ARE allowed to offset ....?
Basically sent me back to CF
I have contacted RBS and told them to cancel the cheque and reissue it to CF. Have emailed copies of letter to CF
recovering
by recovering » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:58 pm
It has annoyed me the banks still think they can do what they like! I had to abide by the rules of my IVA so why are they allowed to make up the rules? Grrr I shouldn’t let it bother me and I still believe if I spoke to someone else at CF I would get a different answer? I have lost the will to argue!
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:01 pm
I will have to disagree with Allay on that one ... if there was no IVA they can offset, but the IVA is to ensure that all parties to it get a proportional share of your disposable income and assets. Offsetting circumnavigates this intention.

Unfortunately it would require a court case to set the precedent -- which hasn't happened and is unlikely to.
recovering
by recovering » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:04 pm
Foggy wrote:
I will have to disagree with Allay on that one ... if there was no IVA they can offset, but the IVA is to ensure that all parties to it get a proportional share of your disposable income and assets. Offsetting circumnavigates this intention.

Unfortunately it would require a court case to set the precedent -- which hasn't happened and is unlikely to.

Again I get the impression if I spoke to someone else I would get a different answer like CF!!!! I should’ve kept quiet but my conscience wouldn’t let me and I know CF would catch up with me
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:14 pm
recovering wrote:
Foggy wrote:

Again I get the impression if I spoke to someone else I would get a different answer like CF!!!! I should’ve kept quiet but my conscience wouldn’t let me and I know CF would catch up with me

I know -- I am the same --- I prefer the clear conscience to the money ...... however, if it was a few thousand ......... ? :roll:
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:25 pm
Allay cannot offset.
recovering
by recovering » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:36 pm
kallis3 wrote:
Allay cannot offset.

It is RBS that are offsetting, Allay are the claims firm for PPI CF use
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:42 pm
Nobody can offset.
recovering
by recovering » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:53 pm
kallis3 wrote:
Nobody can offset.

According to Allay it is fine for RBS to offset, They are the company appointed by CF to investigate the PPI, however on the phone CF said they will speak to RBS about the fact they HAVE already offset the refund against what I owed them..... i am
Losing the will to live!
Neither Allay or CF knew RBS had paid out!!!!
49 posts Page 3 of 4
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”