Really not lookin forward to this month...

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
13 posts Page 1 of 1

scaredykat

Post by scaredykat » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:07 pm
...because i am execting lots of phone calls from people wanting money [:(][:(] i have already been rehearsing my speech, but as im working nights i will hopefully be asleep when they phone.....or even have to pretend to be [:I] i will be glad when things get moving xx

Daveyboi

Post by Daveyboi » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:10 pm
If this is because you are entering an IVA don't worry it is a complete nightmare when they start ringing all the time but I am a firm believer that you tell them once what the score is, ask them to update your record that you are entering an IVA and to remove you from the database.

If they keep calling from then on as soon as they announce themselves say apologies I have already told you the situation we have nothing else to discuss and clear the line.

You will be fine :D
DaveyBoi - Just Keep Smiling :)

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:10 pm
It's not a nice thing, dreading the phone ringing. Just be firm with them, don't let them bully you and just remember that they're only a call centre and have no say in what happens to your application.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Pandy

Post by Pandy » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:13 pm
scaredykat,
it is hard the first few times, after that you build a little resistance to them, I actually found it more difficult when they were nice, [:I] the ones that just demanded monay I could get quite stroppy with without feeling guilty [:D][:D] although I actually only had 2 ring me Barclaycard (who were demanding and threatening me with baliffs at my door etc)rang once at the start of my DMP before I changed to an IVA and LloydsTSB who were after hubby not me [:D][:D]

Keep strong it wont last forever.
If life is what you make it, I must have been in a strange mood when I made mine

scaredykat

Post by scaredykat » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:24 pm
thank you for the advice...as usually it is much appreciated !! Dave.sr...i shall need to write that down and leave it by my phone !!

Lou74

Post by Lou74 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:18 pm
I'm in my first month of making no payments, and am currently gathering all the paperwork ready for my proposal. I was dreading the phone calls, but so far (touch wood!) its not been too bad. I have quite a few creditors, but I've only had Barclaycard and capital one really bother me. First of all, I was a bit scared to answer the phone, or just refused to answer the security questions, but one day I felt brave so just explained the situation (in a well rehearsed speech!). The chap was actually quite helpful, and has said they'll leave me alone for 2 weeks. I know they might come back, and start demanding their money, but I've sent them all a letter, and hopefully things should be progressing by then.
Hope you get on ok. I just keep telling myself that being in debt is not a crime, and I am sorting it, so I'm doing the right thing.
Good Luck!
x

scaredykat

Post by scaredykat » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:40 pm
thanks Lou74, so i shall await the phone calls from barclaycard and capital one too haha !! capital one are quite persistant but i shall have my prepared speech written down by the phone and i hope i get the chap you got !! xx

Daveyboi

Post by Daveyboi » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:45 pm
You could always answer the phone B&Q Romford, can I help you?

Just throwing that in there.

You could change stores dependant on your mood. Or ask them security questions to prove who they are and then say sorry thats incorrect due to data protection I am legally obliged to terminate this call lay on the sofa and eat this chocolate magnum goodbye and release the line.

I am having one of my delusional moments me thinks no sleep all day and got 12 hour nights to look forward to oh joyful :(

Anyway take this last bit of advice with a pinch of salt and the madness it deserves thanks muchly

:D
DaveyBoi - Just Keep Smiling :)

scaredykat

Post by scaredykat » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:06 pm
Thanks Dave, that made me laugh !! oh, and i love magnums ! I'll just need to wait and see how they are with me, never know, could be really nice.........asif, they cant even get my name right half the time, oh, now thats a good excuse !!

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:37 pm
The key is to be honest, but firm about your position. Nothing you or they can say is going to change the situation, so they have to accept your position and you do not need to engage in lengthy dialogue to get your point across. I take the view that once a creditor has been told something firmly once, that unless there is a change of circumstances to report, then there is no need to keep going over old ground. And if they need a progress report, they should contact your IP directly.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

scaredykat

Post by scaredykat » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:45 pm
Thank you for your advice Melanie, I have found honesty is always the best policy !!

Goosed

Post by Goosed » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:15 pm
I work nights too scaredycat. I actually have my ringer turned off because I obviously sleep through the day as you must do too. For a good while I used to wake up to a few messages and missed calls, mainly from the same three creditors.
I wrote to all my creditors and phoned them when I decided to propose an IVA and explained that I work nights and have my phone on silent as I sleep through the day, and to forward any correspondence through my IP...As I said, three creditors obviously completely ignored me but I`ve only had letters from my other creditors.
I haven`t had any calls for over a week now, I have my creditor`s meeting date so I presume all my creditors are in posession of my proposal.
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea".

Eric Cantona

scaredykat

Post by scaredykat » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:22 pm
That sounds promising Goosed !! Im still waiting for someone to contact me and get the paperwork sorted, hopefully it wont be too long !!
13 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”