Remortgaging question

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1

disneygal

Post by disneygal » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:17 am
OK so I am nearly half way through my IVA and it is in my own name my husband is not included. When the IVA finishes we will want to re-mortgage or move home. If my husband who has a good credit history applies for a mortgage in his name only will this be possible do you think? He would be able to afford a mortgage on his own as he has a high salary now but I just worry as he is financially connected to me at the moment as we are both named on our mortgage currently if that makes sense. Thank you.

Foggy

Forum Expert

Post by Foggy » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:06 pm
It could be financially possible, however, many lenders do not like to do this whilst you still reside in the property, as you could still have a claim to title whilst not contributing to their security.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014
http://foggy.blogs.iva.co.uk

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:04 am
If you are financially connected, your iva, will impact on his ability to gain finance / new mortgage therefore it may be prudent to wait until your iva 6th anniversary is here and gone and your record is cleared.
You would then both be in a position to be on the mortgage again - is there another reason why you don't want to be on the mortgage?
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Shaun Vickery

Industry Expert

Post by Shaun Vickery » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:02 pm
In all likelihood, lenders' criteria will have changed by the time your IVA concludes and therefore what's available now is likely to have changed. At present, lenders are generally not keen to leave married applicants or present co-owners to be removed from a mortgage simply due to previous credit issues for one of them. Those who may consider an application are likely to charge a higher rate of interest which may defeat the object of the exercise. I'd suggest having another look nearer the time.
Highly Commended at the British Mortgage Awards. For individual mortgage advice go to http://clients.theselectpartnership.co.uk/
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”