Renting while in an IVA

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Bran76
by Bran76 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:47 am
I am 7 months into an IVA. I currently
live by myself & private rent my sister's house but now due to a change in her circumstances she needs her house back & I will have to move out. Does anyone have experience of renting with an IVA? Presumably they will do a credit check which I will fail or ask for several months rent upfront which I obviously don't have. Could anyone please offer me some advice?
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:56 am
First be upfront with agents -- no point in paying for a check only to be refused ! Some landlords will accept higher deposits and / or advance rent. Many will accept a guarantor. Other than that try to rent from a private landlord who might not credit check at all. You may be able to agree a payment break with your IP to save up a few months worth of IVA payments towards a deposit. This will be added back on at the end of the IVA.
Bex12
by Bex12 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:32 am
Hi I have rented all through my IVA and have always stated when I first enquire about an house about my financial situation and most have been good but stay away from Jackson Grundy they were very rude to me about being in an IVA!
You may need a guarantor like I did but I didn’t have to pay any more than anyone else with regards to deposit etc.
The agent just asks the landlord if he minds you being in an IVA I haven’t been refused within the 4 years I have been in my IVA. I think most appreciate the current climate and how hard it is to get on housing ladder and also no that within an IVA rent is a protected monthly payment. Good Luck
ashbock123
by ashbock123 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:44 pm
I am in a iva and recently split from my partner 4 months ago. I have just rented a flat 2 months ago a d passed the credit check and didn't need a gurantor. So might be ok. I didn't have any ccjs or anyrhing before went in my iva.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”