Should I have declared annulled bankruptcy?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
debbie305
by debbie305 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:05 pm
Hi, my bankruptcy was annulled and all traces (at least I thought all) were removed from my credit report. I have since obtained a mortgage, various credit, employment screening and set up a limited company, without any previous bankruptcy issues haunting me. I was told that once annulled, it would be as if I was never bankrupt and I didn't have to disclose. I am applying for a senior role, and the screening team have found details of my annulment, which is causing real issue, As I stated, I hadn't been made bankrupt, as per all my other screenings, which I was told is legally acceptable for annulments?? So my question is, should I have declared it?
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:19 pm
In law to annul something means to make it void, as though it never existed. I would agree that an annulled bankruptcy need not be declared as, in law, it never existed.
Lisa Thomas
Industry Expert
Contact
by Lisa Thomas » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:29 pm
I agree with Foggy.
debbie305
by debbie305 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:48 pm
Hi Lisa, with your experience, can you offer a suggestion as to how i can handle this situation, as The employmentnscreening company are suggesting I misled/lied on my application form, as I said I hadn't been declared bankrupt. They have also disclosed this adverse risk to my new employer, which will no doubt tarnish my reputation.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:20 pm
Unfortunately, Lisa won't answer at the weekend - she only posts during the week. Hopefully she will contact next week.
Lisa Thomas
Industry Expert
Contact
by Lisa Thomas » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:16 am
I would re-iterate what Foggy has said above and perhaps they should change their questioning to make it clearer that they wish to know about annulments too...
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:31 am
Are you a member of a union which could intercede on your behalf and maybe provide a legal opinion to put the screening company on the right path ?
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”