Should I wait to get married until IVA finishes in 18 months ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
sally491
by sally491 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:15 am
I would like to get married but have 18 months left on IVA plus my fiancée wants move in with me . Am I better waiting till Iva is finished just worried as I don't want him to pay my debts off , plus any money he has left over will need to be saved for a wedding .
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:51 am
It does depend on who you are with, as some have differing views, but generally your debts are yours to repay, not his. He will, however, take on some of the household bills, which, in theory, will increase your disposable income a little, which will increase your IVA payment. In the meantime do not get any joint finances --- your IVA will stain his credit record by association if you do -- keep all finances seperate.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:52 am
Don't let your IVA stand in the way of your personal life. If you live together your payments may alter as he will be contributing to the household expenses but he will not be paying towards your debts. Make sure you have no joint finances as it will affect his credit rating.

If you are with Payplan you will find they take the whole of the household income into account. You can always put him down as a lodger paying rent.
GottaGetThruThis
by GottaGetThruThis » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:12 pm
kallis3 wrote:
If you live together your payments may alter as he will be contributing to the household expenses but he will not be paying towards your debts.

If you are with Payplan you will find they take the whole of the household income into account. You can always put him down as a lodger paying rent.

Would this not be subject to scrutiny when submitting bank statements for annual review with some companies? They will ask who you live with and if you say you buy all your household things wouldn't they want to see evidence on your bank statements?

Could you get round this by withdrawing salary in cash and paying into a different basic account to use as day to day so your exact spending is not shown on your "main" bank statement?
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:38 pm
GottaGetThruThis wrote:
kallis3 wrote:
If you live together your payments may alter as he will be contributing to the household expenses but he will not be paying towards your debts.

Would this not be subject to scrutiny when submitting bank statements for annual review with some companies? They will ask who you live with and if you say you buy all your household things wouldn't they want to see evidence on your bank statements?

Could you get round this by withdrawing salary in cash and paying into a different basic account to use as day to day so your exact spending is not shown on your "main" bank statement?

No firm has the resource to scrutinise bank statements to this extent and many don't even ask for them.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:35 pm
Agree with Foggy. You also need to be honest about your spending so an accurate record can be kept of your income and expenditure.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”