Should the account have gone overdrawn if ex is in an IVA

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
matt345
by matt345 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:32 am
My ex partner didnt pass mail to me regarding a joint account that i thought was closed, she has an iva, the account went overdrawn by £6 completly without my knowledge. I went to gey a car loan and was declined which came as a shock as i have never had bad credit myself,it turns out the £6 overdrawn has gone to collectors as it went overdrawn 4 months ago but i havent lived with her for over 6 months. I didnt think an account could go overdrawn when one person has an iva. Am i right in thinking ot shouldn't have gone overdrawn in the 1st place?
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:38 am
If the bank have no knowledge of the IVA they will not stop a modest overdraw --- at the end of the day, however, it is the responsibility of the person in the IVA not to overdraw, not the bank's. In any event, as a joint account, any owing is as much your responsibility as her's.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:39 am
It shouldn't have - overdraft should have been cancelled. I'm surprised it wasn't closed as you thought it had been. If the overdraft is paid off, can you ask to be taken off the account?
Ryan
Industry Expert
Contact
by Ryan » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:41 am
Hi Matt,

Its probably worth you contacting the Bank that the account is with - if its just an account that went £6 overdrawn then correcting things should hopefully be quite straight forward for you.

Regards
MerlinL14
by MerlinL14 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:38 pm
I think it is more likely you failed the credit check due to having a financial link to her as she is an IVA rather than just the bank account being £6 overdrawn.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”