Shredding

19 posts Page 1 of 2

Shining

Post by Shining » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:33 pm
I'm sat here shredding bank statements from as far back as 2000 and I'm amazed and actually feel a little down due to the fact we were both earning more money then than we are now and we wasted and squandered it all! We had a good time and have some memories, a few photos and DVD's!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and if I knew then what I know now....things would be different!

I've made wonderful friends from the forum and I wouldn't change that part but as they say 'if only'.

To be fair I'm happier now, less pressure, less stress, in my mind I'm richer. My poor Dad would turn in his grave if he knew what mess we'd got ourselves into. Luckily we've found a way out and are just over half way there. xx
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Andy1964

Post by Andy1964 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:20 pm
I find shredding to be theraputic, but the last time I took a load of 'confetti' to the recycling depot (I remember when it used to be called the tip [:D]) I overfilled the bin bag and couldn't fit it through the stupidly narrow slot in the paper skip and quite a bit of it ended up on the floor, looked as though there'd been a wedding that day. Now I fill small carrier bags and empty them into the letter box size slots.
If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else’s, we’d grab ours back.

Funds paid to date accepted as F&F 16th August 2013, the wait for completion begins.
Wait over....certificate recieved 3rd May 2014

MrsKnight

Post by MrsKnight » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:27 pm
I did this some months ago n every bank statement was in the red & overdrawn every month.
I have got into the habit of keeping every bank statement from the start of my IVA, just incase I ever need to prove anything. Im also holding onto every payslip too - just to be sure.
Ive kept the last final statements from all my creditors just for my records of accounts etc, I would not want to be looking back on those ones!
Things are simpler, easier, no scary letters or statements arriving in the post. In fact I barely get any post now n get alittle disappointed that I dont have anything to open! I sometimes wonder if the postman wonders why we dont get very much!
I now try to stop dwelling on how we got here n "what if" its done now. The hardest part is not being able to afford everything that everyone else seems to be able to afford for the boys, its not material things, its things like football n swimming n trips n holidays. N both hubby n I can get abit down about to being able to afford things which at the end of the day are just material things!
But things are calmer - we have most certainly learned our lesson & by the time we get to the end of this IVA journey, will be well educated in handling money n not getting into this again!
It would put my Dad in a grave if he actually knew the reality of our situation, but I think I made the right & sensible choice to sort it n handle it all myself.
Im truly grateful for this forum, without it Im sure my IVA would of failed by now or I would of had another break down just dealing with the IVA pressure alone.
So I totally get what u mean Lesley - in a long winded post!
Last edited by MrsKnight on Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Final IVA payment made in April 2013, never ever thought we could do it or get through it but we did! X

An IVA.co.uk Mentor is someone sharing from their experiences of dealing with debt

Lyns x

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:18 pm
I kept copies of all my last credit cards statements to look back on once we are done with he insolvency. Helps cheer me up to look at them sometimes and realise that we were never ever going to get out of trouble without some formal insolvency. Unless the lottery numbers had come up.

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

Shining

Post by Shining » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:33 pm
It's almost all done now and very therapeutic it's been....although still feel a little ashamed at my spending ways back then. I knew I needed some formal insolvency help even though we hadn't missed a payment at the time and still had a good credit rating.

Never regretted the IVA once and it's certainly taught me a very valuable financial lesson. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

maxdebt

Post by maxdebt » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:08 pm
Ah yes the shredder!! I did that about 2 years ago. I had stuffed all my credit card statements,unpaid bills etc, in Asda carrier bags, dated them with an indelible ink pen, put them in the loft! They went all the way back to 2002! I brought them all down one day, opened the bags one by one and shredded everything!! Nearly burned out the shredder motor and had enough shredded paper for a thousand hamsters to nest in for years to come!! To my shame about half the credit card statements were unopened ( knew how bad they were and stuffed them unopened in a drawer!) Had to open them to shred them but did not look at them. They just reminded me of what an idiot I had been, how close we had come to losing our house. Ah well, thank god those awful days are gone!
My thanks to Melanie and her team :)

TheMatrix

Post by TheMatrix » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:53 am
This is something I will be doing once all this is behind me, and the debts are written off.

A way to turn the corner on the whole mess I got myself into.
We're willing to wipe the slate clean, give you a fresh start. All that we're asking in return is your cooperation.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:14 pm
I have shredded everything pre IVA. Pretty much recycle anything that comes through now. Normal bank statements I do online.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:36 pm
Hubby has his own way of shredding...he burns everything on the old BBQ[:I]

Andy1964

Post by Andy1964 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:56 pm
lesley_ wrote:

we hadn't missed a payment at the time and still had a good credit rating

I was always very proud of my credit rating and even 'lent' it to others who weren't so fortunate (only good friends and family mind) If only they knew what the future held for me! I hope none of them ask me for the same favour for the next five years or so [:0]
If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else’s, we’d grab ours back.

Funds paid to date accepted as F&F 16th August 2013, the wait for completion begins.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:04 pm
There is no way I would ever have 'lent' my credit rating to anyone! Good friends, family or whoever.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Andy1964

Post by Andy1964 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:11 pm
I did it to help people out, just the kind of guy I am I suppose. Never had the dirty done on me though.

On another note Jan, I know you like motorcycling, did you read about the terrible crash that cost the 19 year old Japanese rider his life, terrible shame.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:22 pm
I did see it Andy - we were watching the MotoGP race when they announced the death. What a tragedy.
Bob Marley.

Andy1964

Post by Andy1964 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:29 pm
Must have been a bad one. How many times do riders walk away from crashes that appear to be horrific or just end up with a sprained ankle.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:33 pm
Most of the time they do walk away with broken bones at the very least. It's the second death I've 'witnessed' in two or three years. The last one was British Superbikes if I remember rightly.
Bob Marley.
19 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “friends corner”