Site Admin....possible security issue??

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
34 posts Page 1 of 3

ThriftyWitch

Post by ThriftyWitch » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:25 pm
Sorry to post an off topic subject, but I felt I had to.

Two days ago, I added a Frugal Friend (who in turn added me) I emailed them through the site by clicking on their avatar in my frugal friends list and filling in the contact form (as you do in the first instance) I added them because on one of their posts they said they lived in a town nearby me and I wanted to get to know them. I had a responce back within a few hours from someone by a different name who said they lived in San Franciso! as bizarre as the email was, I actually thought this person was perhaps a British person living in the states and arranging their IVA from there, I responded as I thought this was the right person and again had another bizarre resonce back saying they did the 'tech' side of the site, and asked what I thought of the site!!!! Wasn't until a few hours later, I had an email from THE REAL person I had orginally added as a frugal friend apologising for the delayed responce as my email had gone into their spam box! I emailed them and asked them if this other person had anything to do with them and as suspected, no, they don't know them. Now we both are worried this other person has seen our emails!

I have told this person from San Francisco where I live (ok, not the exact address but certainly the small town I live in) I feel this is a complete sercurity breach! How could this of happened.

Sorry if my thread is hard to understand im a bit stressed!, I will gladly clarify anything just ask away. Me and my REAL frugal friend are actually quite miffed!

If my real frugal friend wants to come forward and add then please do! :-) x
Trying to be thrifty!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:30 pm
Can I ask who this person is?

It shouldn't happen and I will email admin for you as I've not known happen before.

The best way to add Frugal Friends is via your profile as you can pick and choose who you add.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

ThriftyWitch

Post by ThriftyWitch » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:33 pm
He says his name is William Berry

I did add my Frugal Friend through my profile too. I clicked on my profile, went to the frugal friends tab and found the person and added them. Def added the right person as well as they emailed me themselves after.
Trying to be thrifty!

ThriftyWitch

Post by ThriftyWitch » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:35 pm
Happy to copy and paste his email too as it doesn't divulge anything between myself and my real FF
Trying to be thrifty!

Pandy

Post by Pandy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:36 pm
Hi Thrifty,
What an awful thing to happen, I get quite paranoid about security, but it might not be this site that is not secure but the server you internet provider uses.
If life is what you make it, I must have been in a strange mood when I made mine

ThriftyWitch

Post by ThriftyWitch » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:40 pm
Ours is like fort knox Pandy, thats hubbys line of work. Also this came after I filled in the contact form that comes up when you first email a frugal friend. This person also said quote " I am in sote bcos I work tech back end'

Not sure what sote means but working in tech and asking me if I like the site is bizarre!
Trying to be thrifty!

Pandy

Post by Pandy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:41 pm
[:D] That doesn't even sound like a proper techie, i can understand most of that [:D] (apart from the sote unless they meant site but cant spell)
Last edited by Pandy on Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If life is what you make it, I must have been in a strange mood when I made mine

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:42 pm
William is quite genuine.

If you are not happy with the contact then email and tell him so.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

ThriftyWitch

Post by ThriftyWitch » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:43 pm
I don't understand Jan?

If I emailed a frugal friend then how does someone else get to read my personal info. Who is William?
Trying to be thrifty!

ThriftyWitch

Post by ThriftyWitch » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:49 pm
I also don't think its about me 'not liking the contact' Jan, Its more the suprise I got when I email a woman called XXX and get a reponce back from someone called William in the States!
Trying to be thrifty!

admin

Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:51 pm
Hi ThriftyWitch
We do apologise that you have been worried.
William is a very senior member of the company that run this site and is one of the very few who has access to your email address. It is quite co-incidental that he emailed you just after you had exchanged frugal friends and we regret that this was not made clear.
Your email address is quite safe, please don't worry.
Admin

Posting Guidelines:
Industry Experts
-Must have appropriate licenses
-Advice is transparent and clear
-No solicitation (web link in signature is ok)

Forum Experts
-Give advice based on personal experience
-Are impartial and transparent

ThriftyWitch

Post by ThriftyWitch » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:54 pm
admin wrote:

Hi ThriftyWitch
We do apologise that you have been worried.
William is a very senior member of the company that run this site and is one of the very few who has access to your email address. It is quite co-incidental that he emailed you just after you had exchanged frugal friends and we regret that this was not made clear.
Your email address is quite safe, please don't worry.
He actually responded to the email I sent to my FF rather than as a coincidental email. My orginal email to my FF is at the bottom of his email responce.
Trying to be thrifty!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:54 pm
William is a part of Frugal Friends. Not sure why he contacted you but if you're not happy then please email him back and ask him not to contact you again.

Please don't paste the email address, it's not allowed on the forum.
Bob Marley.

ThriftyWitch

Post by ThriftyWitch » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:58 pm
haha - weird

they dont do ivas in usa. i am in sote bcos i help with tech back end

what do u think of site?

On 31 Jul 2010, at 09:30, wrote:

Oh im sorry lol, I assumed as you said on your thread you lived 'in NXXXXXX'....I also assumed you were female and called XXX lol! Didn't realise they did IVA's in the states, learn something every day I guess lol!

On 30 July 2010 at 21:35 William Berry <wb@

> Nxxxxx street ... in san francisco lol!
>
> Best,
> William Berry

> ________________________________________
> From: > Subject: Hello!
>
> Hello
> Hope you don't mind me emailing you, just that I saw you come from NXXXXX! Im nearby in a small town near xxxxxxx so about 40 mins away from you. Aare you in the city or a village outside?
> C x
Last edited by ThriftyWitch on Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trying to be thrifty!

ThriftyWitch

Post by ThriftyWitch » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:02 pm
kallis3 wrote:

William is a part of Frugal Friends. Not sure why he contacted you but if you're not happy then please email him back and ask him not to contact you again.

Please don't paste the email address, it's not allowed on the forum.
As I said Jan, he contacted me to REPLY to an email I sent to SOMEONE ELSE.

I actually feel I cannot use the forum anymore. I understand I am not allowed to paste the email, but I have done as its getting frustrating not making people understand that he responded to me, not randomly emailed me.
I have of course remove all personal data.

Im not 'flouncing' and running off to prove a point. I just don't like the idea someone else can intercept when you email a FF. Surely I am not the only one?

Thank you for the advice I have been given here on the forum though.
Trying to be thrifty!
34 posts Page 1 of 3
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”