So far so good....

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
10 posts Page 1 of 1

sunkendrailer

Post by sunkendrailer » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:34 pm
Hi everyone...I'm still about and just want to say how much stress has been relieved since all your wonderful advice back in April.
You may recall I was panicking and worrying and getting myself into a massive stress until I discovered the IVA route.
Well I'm now four months in and all the calls stopped weeks and weeks ago.
As you all had such great advice and support for me in my hours of need, I would like to put something back into this forum for those just starting out on the road to debt freedom.
This has been a fantastic forum, and all the advice I received back in April and May was terrific for me.
I have learned so much over the last few months, about having only things that I can afford and never EVER taking unaffordable credit again.
I still get the odd text message and call from people saying that I have other options open to me, but I now, happily, just ignore these calls.
Four months into my road to recovery and it really is so far so good.
Thanks to all of you.
Now debt free after F&F in July 2012.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:43 pm
Nice to see you back and so glad everything is going ok for you.

A lovely post and it just goes to show what a wonderful place the forum is and how much it does help those just starting out. They can 'see' real people, with real debt problems and know they're not on their own, someone will be able to help them.

I hope the rest of your IVA continues to go as smoothly and look forward to see you on here a lot in the future.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

lukeofyorkshire

Post by lukeofyorkshire » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:15 pm
Such a nice message. It is such a relief isn't it!
1st payment Oct 2008, last payment Dec 2013. Certificate received March 2015 due to PPI claim.

sunkendrailer

Post by sunkendrailer » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:26 pm
I will be about quite a bit. I believe that I owe a lot to a lot of people on here in terms of advice and if I can offer some support to someone just setting out, then that's good as far as I'm concerned.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:25 pm
It certainly is and it will be good to see you on here more often.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Goosed

Post by Goosed » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:51 pm
Nice post sunkendrailer.
My second payment`s just about to go out. It`s great to not have that constant feeling of dread, isn`t it? How`ve you adjusted to living within your set budgets? I`ve found it tricky when food shopping, I`ve not been able to resist some of the treats we just took for granted in the past, and having to cut back drastically (compared to how we used to be) on best quality cuts of meat and fish...and wine[:I], so I`ve gone over our shopping budget a few times...I`m going to have to develop more self discipline. It`s also costing more than I realised to feed my dog...The Missus will have to go on bread and water[:D]
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea".

Eric Cantona

sunkendrailer

Post by sunkendrailer » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:00 pm
Hi Goosed.
Even simple (seemingly small) things like making my own lunches instead of going to the staff restaurant/pub at lunchtime has made a difference.
When I shop now, I just shop for what I think I'll need for a few days ahead, rather than wasting money on a big shop and then having to throw things out.
It's been a bit of a change to my lifestyle, and having just one drink after a game of cricket instead of staying all night....makes a big difference in my pocket (and on my head the following morning!!). LOL.
I must admit it's been a big change, but I'm learning to spend within my means, instead of above them.
It's a valuable lesson in self-control and financial management. Long way to go, but I do feel that I'm on the road to recovery, which is a nice feeling I must admit.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:04 pm
The thing is to make a list and stick to it!

When we first started I would make a list and then do a virtual shop at all of the local supermarkets. I'd know what it was going to cost and we didn't put anything extra in.

Now we tend to stock up on what we have used during the week. If some of our normal shopping is on offer, I will stock up on it even if we're not running short.

It's coffee at the moment with us. Hubby likes Nescafe Espresso which is £2 a jar at the moment in Asda, and I have decaff. Kenco Eco refills are good value at £2.50.
Bob Marley.

sunkendrailer

Post by sunkendrailer » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:10 pm
That sounds very organised Jan! Wish I could be as good in planning as that! LOL....

I do have a bit of a worrying month coming up (November), because that is MOT month and my car is not exactly new.....
In fact it's done nearly 200,000 miles now and makes a lot of funny noises! [:D]
Fingers crossed, it's serving me well and will continue to do so. Thankfully, because of Mel's advice, I did budget for car repairs and MOT's etc when we did my initial proposal, so should be OK.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:58 pm
Hope the car passes!

November and December are my worst months for birthdays as well as having to sort out Christmas!
Bob Marley.
10 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”