Student debt post IVA completion

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
2 posts Page 1 of 1

fiona

Post by fiona » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:26 pm
As a student I was given a grant that was incorrectly awarded by an error code applied by the uni 5 years after I graduated. This was not included in the IVA (now completed) because I didn’t know about it. I have been paying them £10 every month for about 4-5 years. They want to recover their error at a more rapid pace and are using pressure tactics that I’m finding hard to cope with. Our daughter died at home suddenly last year and after a delayed funeral and inquest left us with £8000 bill to pay. My question is can they legally insist on me completing an income and expenditure form? I can increase the amount to £40 but I cannot talk to them as this causes huge anxiety for me. Amongst everything else I’m still livid that it was a mistake created by them and the uni and left with it.

Foggy

Forum Expert

Post by Foggy » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:40 pm
I doubt the previous IVA would have an effect on this current situation, but it might be worth taking advice from an IP or solicitor versed in insolvency law (CAB might be able to point you in the right direction).

You are probably not obliged by law to complete the I&E forms, but the grantor will see this as non-cooperation and move to take stronger enforcement measures as they see fit. As painful as it is, and I am truly sorry for your loss, you do need to engage with them, or see if you can get a friend, relative or advisor to engage on your behalf, with your authority. Again CAB might be able to assist.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014
http://foggy.blogs.iva.co.uk
2 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”