Thomas Charles

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
13 posts Page 1 of 1

TheMatrix

Post by TheMatrix » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:01 pm
I'm trying to find details for them, but their site no longer exists.

Are they still in business. My concern is I made 2 payments to them before my IVA was agreed on the understanding they would be going towards the IVA.

I've now re-read the court document and it says the IVA will last 5 years and 3 months from the Date of Approval. (Is this the date of the creditors meeting or when I first made my first payment by cheque to them.

I am concerned that my IP will not have a record of this, and that I could end up making 65 payments in all increasing the time the IVA is running for.

Just as the finish line is in sight, I see further payments may be needed. Not happy if this is the case as I've been thinking all along I have to make 60 payments and it finishes in March next year. It is now looking like it may not be until June and then further for the certificate to arrive.

May be if Thomas Charles is on here, he could explain why it says 5 years and 3 months from the date of approval, and if those payments I made by cheque would be included within those 3 months, bringing the finishing date forward or would that require a modification from creditors.
Last edited by TheMatrix on Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We're willing to wipe the slate clean, give you a fresh start. All that we're asking in return is your cooperation.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:07 pm
I don't know what has happened to Thomas Charles.

Have you contacted your IP direct?

You should be able to find them via this link:

http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/fip/
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

TheMatrix

Post by TheMatrix » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:12 pm
That will be my next calling point, but was hoping Thomas Charles could let me know as they took the two payments outside of the IVA at the start.
We're willing to wipe the slate clean, give you a fresh start. All that we're asking in return is your cooperation.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:32 pm
Hopefully one of the experts will be able to assist.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

TheMatrix

Post by TheMatrix » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:52 pm
Just to clarify I made 2 payments by cheque in Feb / Mar 2006.

My first standing order to my IP was in April 2006

60 Payments from April 2006 would mean my last payment would be in March 2011, but if it is now 63 payments from April that would put this back to June 2011
Last edited by TheMatrix on Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shining

Post by Shining » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:20 pm
If you search old posts re Thomas Charles I think other posters are in the same position. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:53 pm
Hi
I think you will find that your first two payments were fees payable to Thomas Charles and did not form part of your IVA payments.
Check with your IP who will be able to give you the difinitive answer
Regards
Andam Davies

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:42 pm
If memory serves, I think Thomas Charles had, at one point, expert representation on this site, though I stand to be corrected.

My feelings on packagers, as seems to be the case here, are well known and do not need repeating, but anyone considering IVA as an appropriate debt solution would do well to consider very carefully whether to appoint packagers, or whether to cut out the middle man and approach an IP firm direct. If in doubt, ask for the name of the IP who will handle the case, and then log on to www.iva.com to view the IP and his or her profile. If he or she does not work for the firm that you have approached then you may be speaking to a packager. If you are happy with that then fair enough, but, personally, I remain to hear any reasonable argument as to why an IVA should last for 62 or 63 payments when it could and should last for 60.

Regards.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice
I do not post for anyone other than myself

Follow my tweets at http://twitter.com/debtmastersize5

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:58 am
Thomas Charles are no longer trading as the company has now gone into liquidation.

As for packaging Mike - what are your thoughts about firms who flip their clients from a DMP to an IVA after the first couple of months? Is there much difference do you feel?
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:41 am
Hi Mel, I agree totally with that. I am aware that a number of firms do that, seemingly as a matter of course, or certainly more than they should. Now, obviously, there are some cases where that may be necessary, and as long as there is good reason for it then fine, but it should be the exception rather than the rule.

Regards.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice
I do not post for anyone other than myself

Follow my tweets at http://twitter.com/debtmastersize5

animaleyes76

Post by animaleyes76 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:37 am
Agree with Andy.

I used Thomas Charles 4 years ago (not knowing any better) and the 2 months money went to them as a fee.. I still feel slightly bitter about it.. Oh well, you live and learn..

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:10 am
Same here Animaleyes - and I think we ended up with the same company!

TheMatrix

Post by TheMatrix » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:53 pm
I would have done anything to get out of the mess I was in back then and the enormous amount of pressure at the time.

Guess we live and learn but still quite angry that those two payments do not count and the term is 63 months (So 65 in total with the 2 to TC) Now means that it is going to be June before I'm done now I think.

I'll see what happens in Feb/March when my 5th annual review is due and where I thought my IVA would end initially.
13 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”