Trying to stay positive

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
dan385
by dan385 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:39 am
Hi everyone,

I'm New to this forum having started my ova in September 2017. After the initial relief of having more manageable payments, I have now already got to the point of worrying about money again. I have a fairly low payment amount until my car finance is paid off in April 2021, then that payment will go towards the ova payments. I'm just after some advice on how to keep positive through the next 4+ years. The budget is very tight and my work is up and down with my wages.
How does everyone keep positive? Finally has anyone heard of Dave Ramsey?

Thanks
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:47 am
You need to embrace life in an IVA --- you have a set budget and just need to adapt to it. Life in an IVA isn't easy, but it is (in my case) far better than juggling the money to keep creditors happy. I actually had more to spend on shopping etc than when I was in debt. Search out bargains, go to the reduced shelf at the supermarket.

You are almost a year through --- 20% down and under your belt. 4 years going forward is not so long ... Prince George is already 5 -- he was only born yesterday !!

Treat your provider as being on your side (ok, sometimes it won't feel like it) ... working together to fight the debt, not working against each other.

Like many of us, in a short 4 years or so you will be completely free of unsecured debt -- given a fresh new start. It's a GREAT feeling, believe me!!
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:24 am
I agree with Foggy - it is hard and you will have to tighten your belt for a while but it will be worth it in the end. One way to help is to do online surveys which will help fund Christmas and birthdays.

Not heard of Dave Ramsey personally.
dan385
by dan385 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:37 am
Dave Ramsey is an American financial guy, who is on social media and I watch him on YouTube. Although I can't follow his "baby steps" at the moment because of the IVA, I do find his methods, ideas the way forward for me. I will have to start embracing the IVA more, because before I was living above my means and the stress of debt was never worth the newer cars, life style etc
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:52 am
dan385 wrote:
Dave Ramsey is an American financial guy, who is on social media and I watch him on YouTube. Although I can't follow his "baby steps" at the moment because of the IVA, I do find his methods, ideas the way forward for me. I will have to start embracing the IVA more, because before I was living above my means and the stress of debt was never worth the newer cars, life style etc

I found that living in an IVA, and dealing more with cash reconnected me to the reality of my finances -- no more magic plastic and, if I didn't have the cash, I didn't buy the goods. I realised the difference between what I needed and what I wanted.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:58 am
I prefer Martin Lewis myself! Do agree with Foggy - keep within budget even though it can be hard.
MerlinL14
by MerlinL14 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:35 pm
I don't know anyone who had 'an easy ride' during their IVA. I know lots who have had a stress free (ish) journey and those who have learned the difference between want and need. I can't believe how much my life has changed post IVA, how much clutter I no longer have and no longer want. My inner circle of friends has changed, from those I tried to keep up with, not knowing they were in the same boat as me. To a great group of people who make do, take butties and pop to the park of a weekend so their kids actually get out of the street, they don't take big expensive holidays to far off sunny climbs, everyone helping each other and not needing to spend a fortune because their peers are. Not scared to say "sorry I can't afford it" any more. Other than the extra disposable income I have now I really do feel richer, socially and within myself. Took 5 years and a hard lesson, but well worth it now. There is light at the end of the tunnel and it is good.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”