University support for my daughter

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1

steviebluenose

Post by steviebluenose » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:50 am
My daughter is off to Uni in October. Because of my salary, she is not entitled to any additional support. We have no savings. We have been in an IVA for 18 months. She is getting the full loans ... nice start to life ....

If she cant get a job then we will need to give her £100+ per month just so she can eat ... tough luck if she wants to go out drinking.

Our overheads will come down, because there will only be 3 people in the house for 38 weeks a year, instead of 4, but the overheads will not come down by much. Are we able to increase our overheads, so that the payment to her is taken into account?

I am hoping for a pay rise in December, and we will need that to cover our daughters extra costs ... I dont want to give it up to the IVA and then have our daughter give up Uni.

Any thoughts?

Steve

liamjames

Post by liamjames » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:04 am
Perhaps if she reapplied for support, being clear that she received no financial support from her family, she would be given additional funds? It might need a phonecall.

Your daughter may be entitled to support from the University, too. They almost always have a fund, and most people don't even know it's there.
Take care,

Liam James
Varden Nuttall
http://www.vardennuttall.co.uk

Read our reviews here: http://www.iva.com/iva_companies/Varden_Nuttall.asp

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:35 pm
She will not be entitled to support if your incomes are outside the acceptable brackets. Your IP should allow you to retain the usual allowances for her as a child through her further education - but she should also look for some part time work to supplement her costs where possible.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:42 pm
Again that is reassuring to know Mel as my daughter is starting 6th form on Monday with a view to going to University (my way) Beauty School (her way) but either way it's a little bit of a worry at the minute. But if we can retain the allowances for her as a child through the further education then it's a little less worrying. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”