Or would it make more sense to keep hold of the savings and use them to put toward a potential IVA?
On the car front -- there is always a risk when replacing a car with a "more reliable" model (even brand new cars break down within days), sometimes it is better with the "devil you know" and getting it checked and serviced with any upcoming repairs seen to.
Was thinking of getting rid asap as soon as latest issues fixed, part exchange it in for something similar in price or not much more, slightly newer, slightly better mileage but uber-reliable and much less costly.
I am thinking Japanese here like Toyota, Honda, Mazda. But also considering Ford, Vauxhall and possibly the odd Germany car e.g. VW group. I desperately need my car for my job and other personal reasons.
How would creditors know that you have used some of your savings to replace your car or put towards a small contingency fund ahead of iva?
A lot of people are talking of this on the forum and that it makes senseto build a small reserve ahead of doing an IVA, and even stopping payments or making token payments to creditors for a month or two before entering into an IVA as the first few months of an IVA are meant to be particularly bad especially if any big costs come up and fall due? E.g. I am thinking of car insurance in particular and road tax. Plus repair bills and servicing costs if you haven't replaced your lemon on four wheels before doing an IVA?
I downgraded, a few months before my IVA, from a petrol guzzling QX (25 to the gallon and £200 plus road fund licence) to a frugal diesel Skoda Fabia (Affectionately known as "The Skip") (50 to the gallon and £95 RFL). My IP said nothing, however there was mention in my proposal that I had switched to a more frugal vehicle in an attempt to minimise ongoing running costs, but no figures were mentioned.
I also, as you mention, stashed my months unpaid payments in an emergency fund, as, although RFL and repairs are built in with a small allowance, of course it takes time for this pot to build and sod's law dictates that the breakdown will not wait!
The bottom line is to be sensible (i.e don't splash thousands) and be honest with your IP --- he won't be impressed if a nest egg of a few grand comes out of the woodwork during the 5 years ( and these things do have a habit of doing so!).
Who is onlineUsers browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
Ask the IVA Experts a QuestionSimply complete form and you will get an answer from our IVA Experts (multiple replies within an hour *)
* Any use of this forum is conditional on you having read and agreed to our terms and conditions.
* If you enter your phone number, Vincent Bond and Co Ltd will give you a courtesy call to ensure that your question has been answered.
* The question will be posted on our forum, we will email you the location