are there any upfront charges for a dmp or an iva

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
8 posts Page 1 of 1

no pennies
by no pennies » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:38 pm
are there any upfront charges for a dmp or an iva panicing here and ready to make the calls sob sob also me and hubby have seperate and joint debt do we do a joint plan

Julie
by Julie » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:00 pm
Hi there and welcome to the forum,

Some companies do charge "upfront" fees,whereas the first 2 or 3 months payments do not go towards your IVA if accepted.

There are pletny of companies who do not do this.

Have you chosen your IP company yet?

size5
Industry Expert
Contact
by size5 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:10 pm
It will depend on what solution is appropriate for you in your own circumstances.

You should speak to at least 2 or 3 firms before you make your move, IP firms will be happy to give you no nonsense, no obligation advice, and once you know the pros and cons of everything then at that point you will be in a position to make your next move.

Accordingly, a visit to www.iva.com seems in order, have a look around, read reviews etc and then go from there.

Good luck and regards.

Michael Peoples
Industry Expert
Contact
by Michael Peoples » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:12 pm
Hi No Pennies and welcome from me too.
While some companies do charge up front fees not all do and regardless most IP firms do offer free advice. You will then be able to decide what is the best option for you and your family and proceed from there. In most cases you do not even have to give your name to receive advice and reassurrance.

You and your husband will be looked at as individuals and advice given accordingly. If suitable a joint DMP or interlocking IVAs could be the best option available.

Darkdog
by Darkdog » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:25 pm
Hi No pennies,
we are just a bit ahead of you as we have made the calls, do make a few and get advice from a few IP's. we are now dealing with Melanie's company and do expect to pay our first payment when we have got our proposal, understood it, happy with it and returned it. This is to show commitment to the IVA and is in fact the first months payment.
you will feel so much better when you do speak to someone and get the ball rolling.
Good luck

MelanieGiles
Industry Expert
Contact
by MelanieGiles » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:37 pm
If you take advice directly from an insolvency practitioner you are unlikely to be asked to pay up front charges.

As Darkdog says in my practice we like to see the first payment made when proposals are signed, but this is fully refundable if the IVA does not eventually proceed - which is extremely rare.

It is possible for you to offer a DMP on a joint basis, but IVAs are individual arrangements and you will need one each. Depending upon your circumstances, this may result in you paying a combined payment to creditors - the interlocking process Michael has alraady referred to - but as I often mention on the forum there is no such thing as a joint IVA.

Simbel
by Simbel » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:06 pm
Hi No pennies and welcome from me.

My only bit of advice to you is pick up the phone and call 2 or 3 companies - seek advice from them (it's all free) and then make up your mind on who to go with - don't make any hasty decisions as you will be entering into a long term relationship with the company of your choice, but I must emphasis pick up that phone and speak to someone, you will feel so much better afterwards, honestly.

The other thing is to come on here and ask as many questions as you can - everyone is here to help you and everyone on this forum is brilliant and the experts are just amazing - all of them!

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:12 pm
We don't have an interlocking one - ours are both seperate and we each make our own payment.

I do recommend that you visit the link Size5 posted, or click on the experts link on the left hand side of the page and phone a couple of the companies who post on here. They will point you in the right direction.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”