Council Tax

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
18 posts Page 1 of 2

rks
by rks » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:18 pm
HI My iva was awarded in august 2008 .
I was up to date in my council tax payments , however the council had recently ( jan 09 ) found out that i shold not have been getting 25% discount for previous years and that the arrears are payabble immediately , my argument is that any arrers or shortfalls pre aug 2008 should be part of my iva , am I right ? they wont agree to it and now have sent my employers to force payment even though I had already agreed to clear the arrears by 2010 , they wil be taking aprox £700 out of my salary this month , what can i do ? I have spoken to them again today they say they cant stop it ?I have told them several times I will clear them and have made payment of £450 since Dec 2009 Balance now outstanding is £900

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:25 pm
Hello rks and welcome.

Not sure of the answer to this, and hopefully one of our experts will be along to advise. You need to have a chat with your IP though to inform them of what has happened.

MelanieGiles
Industry Expert
Contact
by MelanieGiles » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:26 pm
If the arrears relate to a period prior to the acceptance of your IVA you may well be able to include these into your IVA - so long as you can demonstrate that the exclusion was due to honest mistake.

Were you aware that you were not entitled to claim this discount when you entered into the IVA?

rks
by rks » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:58 pm
No I was not aware , as i was renting the place and i could not prove that the people left when i said they did as they did not remove thier names from electoral register .

MelanieGiles
Industry Expert
Contact
by MelanieGiles » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:03 pm
I am surprised that the council are not accepting your word for this - but if the debt can be included in the IVA is should not affect you unduly.

marky b
by marky b » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:48 pm
you are as ever , the voice of reson mel, more relaxing than my tape of whale noises.

MelanieGiles
Industry Expert
Contact
by MelanieGiles » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:10 pm
Not the first time that I have been likened to a whale this week! My husband thinks it is time for the pre-ski diet to kick start!!!

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:12 pm
You're not that bad Mel!

marky b
by marky b » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:05 pm
uh oh ive started something here.[:I]

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:00 pm
Must admit I don't envy you the skiing Mel! Never appealed to me. I'm into sun and sand myself - with a bit of local culture thrown in!

MelanieGiles
Industry Expert
Contact
by MelanieGiles » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:15 pm
You should try it Jan! I love all types of holidays - but skiing and diving usually have to be included somewhere. Can't imagine now just having a sun and sand holiday - I would be bored after the first day!

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:26 pm
Hubby's knees wouldn't cope with it!

We do local sightseeing (apart from Egypt when it was far too expensive).

Ask hubby who walked to the top of Lions Rock in Sri Lanka - and very proud he was of that too!

MelanieGiles
Industry Expert
Contact
by MelanieGiles » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:30 pm
Must admit I am always envious when you talk about your trips to the Maldives. Definately on my list!

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:41 pm
Only been once Mel, but it is number one on my list to do when I retire!

Florida (via Manhattan) is number two as we do love the USA and do load of sightseeing there.

A storm chasing holiday for me and H as well!

Skippy
by Skippy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:44 pm
I'd be no good with skiing or diving I'm afraid - I don't like snow or deep water!
18 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”