Savings Account

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
18 posts Page 1 of 2

nomoredosh
by nomoredosh » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:21 am
I am thinking of opening a new savings account with Yorkshire Building Society. Can anybody tell me whether they will allow me to do so whilst in an IVA. Now is a good time for me to start putting a little away each month as I feel I am on the straight and narrow with my finances at the moment and seem to be coping ok with our IVA. Just thought it would be nice to have an account where I can build a little nest egg (very little!!) Will Yorkshire BS let me and is it ok to build up money if possible. Oh and Happy New Year everyone!!

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:55 am
Hi and Happy New Year to you as well.

Not sure if they will or not, I know the Co-op are funny about it, although why you would be when you can't go overdrawn, I don't know.

You can have savings if you make them from your allowances and/or from your share of overtime and bonuses.

I suppose the only thing you can do is give them a try.

Glad your IVA is still going ok.

MelanieGiles
Industry Expert
Contact
by MelanieGiles » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:10 am
A savings account is a really good idea for anyone in an IVA, you can put your contingency money in there to ensure it is always there when that rainy day comes along.

Darkdog
by Darkdog » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:20 am
This is one thing we are going to do, having read a lot of the posts on here about the unforeseen things that can catch you out, 5 years is a long time and who knows what can happen, when this months salary comes in we will stash some away somewhere based on our provisional contingency in our I&E along with water rates car insurance allowance etc, haven't thought where yet but I noticed when I log onto Natwest on line there is a saving plan option may look into that

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:07 am
Every little helps![:D]

thefsg
by thefsg » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:05 pm
I have a Co-op Savings account with a pathetic rate of interest, 0.5% I think but I can put any spare or contingency money in there to make sure I don't get the wrong impression about how well I'm doing!

nomoredosh
by nomoredosh » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:34 pm
I'm going to give it a go and I will let you know if I am successful. Just wanted to try and save a little which is something I have never done in my life! [:D]

briggadeen
by briggadeen » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:17 pm
I think this is a fantastic idea - I will of course be doing this also. I have also joined Parks christmas savings, I don't know if any of you use this but its to spread the cost all year round!!

Also we do not have a savings account but is it possible to keep the money in our main current account or when the IP checks this will it be taken as disposable income and would I be better to move it elsewhere?

MelanieGiles
Industry Expert
Contact
by MelanieGiles » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:31 pm
With January well underway, it is never too early for you to start putting a little aside for next Christmas. Even a tenner a month will add up by the time the festivities arrive with us again.

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:31 pm
I do a lot of internet surveys and use the vouchers I get for doing those to help fund Christmas. I always wait until October before requesting them and it does mean that present wise, Christmas costs me very little.

ashb
by ashb » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:03 am
hi

All my spare money goes in to a Cash plus card account, i send it via my on line banking direct to this account, no credit checks required and you can use all atms and in retaillers

Shining
by Shining » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:00 am
I have a savings account, I do have a regular amount going in there for contingency but it never seems to mount up as there is always something but a savings account is an excellent idea whilst in an IVA in my opinion.

struggling63
by struggling63 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:29 pm
I opened a Sainsbury's savings account with no problems at all, and it comes with a Link cash machine card which is handy.

My only problem is there's a whole £4.03 in there, and has been for a while!

Skippy
by Skippy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:53 pm
I couldn't open a savings account with Sainsburys - they wanted proof that I was discharged from BR, and would only accept the official certificate from the court which I don't have.

It turns out they shred the certificate when the account is opened so as it costs £60 I'm glad I didn't have it!

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:57 pm
I still have our Barclays account open (my creditor, not hubbys) and I put any spare money in that.
18 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”