Hello There

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
7 posts Page 1 of 1

GettingHelp
by GettingHelp » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:23 pm
Hi everyone, starting my road to recovery, after many many months of looking at the forum I have finally decided an IVA is the one for me, will be popping on here lots over the next few months will update you on my journey, in the process of getting paperwork together, valuation, any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:29 pm
Hello GettingHelp and welcome to the forum.

Well done on starting to sort yourself out - it's not an easy thing to do.

Have you already approached a company? If not, I can recommend any of the ones who post on here, whose details can be found under the experts link on the left hand side of the page, or you can visit www.iva.com for a list of companies. I do recommend that you phone one or two and you will get free and impartial advice as to all the options open to you.

Michael Peoples
Industry Expert
Contact
by Michael Peoples » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:11 pm
Hi GettingHelp and welcome from me too.

I would suggest you open a new bank account if you have debts to the current one. It would be easier to get good facilities now rather than waiting until your credit file has been damaged. The process should not take months and forward what you have to your chosen IP firm and you should be fine within a few weeks. Good luck.

MelanieGiles
Industry Expert
Contact
by MelanieGiles » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:59 pm
We'll be very happy to help you along the IVA journey, and I am glad that you have found the forum useful so far and have taken time to make your decision.

The more work you can do in terms of preparation, the easier the IP's job ultimately will be. The very best of luck with your application, and we look forward to hearing more about your progress in due course.

ashb
by ashb » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:00 am
Hello and good luck, we all have felt like you do prior to the start of your IVA but the stress and worry will go and you get used to living within a tight budget and it can be very rewarding. When you look at all thos poor people in Haiti my worries are nothing in comparison, and having to eat at home instead of eating out doesnt even compare.

I would get a debit account now with another bank you have no connection with

Get a cheap pay as you go mobile phone and give this number out to all your family and contacts only-all other horrible calls you may get you can ignore.

Clear and clean out all your files and paperwork keeping it streamlines as possible.

look at paying bills by DD

I have a spread sheet that I use as a check sheet each month and have on line banking to double check what I have left each month!!

Try and look at ways of saving costs such as walking more and you will be suprised on how much you can save

Shop for best bargains and look at menues which give you good healty food but perhaps dont require top notch products

Keep fit is important and will help you relax.

Most of all feel good about your self and dont feel bad or negative about your situation- you are one of millions and you are doing something about it

good luck

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:13 am
Great post ashb.

GettingHelp - I would recommend that you try the Co-op for a bank account. A lot of posters on here use them and are very pleased. If it's the Cashminder you go for, you will either have to phone or visit, you can't apply online.

As regards the phone calls, you can change your phone numbers. I did it with my mobile and it didn't cost me anything so you wouldn't need to buy a new phone. With the home phone we did BT Broadband Talk so got a new number anyway and just unplugged the other one.

You will need to watch what you spend in the supermarket, some value lines are surprisingly good.

Must admit that I only use online banking. I have never been able to get my head around spreadsheets![:D]

Shining
by Shining » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:37 am
Hi and welcome from me too,lots of great advice/support available on forum and am glad to read that you'll be staying with us x
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”