The calls have started!! Aaargh!

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
32 posts Page 1 of 3

Tracey
by Tracey » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:49 pm
Hi,

Oh what a morning! Calls from credit card firms how nasty they are these people! Was going to make token payments but before I could say anything they threatened me with debt collection departments etc. How do these people sleep at night I know they have a job to do but they have no understanding on how people are feeling. I have not be sleeping, lost weight etc because of the worry.

Oh well i suppose this was to be expected but i can understand how people feel bullied into things by these companies!

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:59 pm
Don't let them get to you, they are nothing more than bullies. You can refuse to confirm your details and they can't continue with the call.

I would try and change your number if you can.

Cath
by Cath » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:07 pm
Hi Tracey, the calls are a nightmare. I know how you are feeling. Unplug the phone for a few weeks, that's what I did, although I did speak to some when I was feeling moody. Some creditors are relentless, others are pretty cool. My worst were Barclaycard and then MBNA but compared to Barclaycard they were *****cats.

Keep your head held high and try not to let them get to you, they are doing a job and trying to earn commission and they will do this by using many psychological tatics designed to get at people who are at their lowest ebb. xxx

ashb
by ashb » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:46 pm
Hi

i did the same but I got a pay as you go mobile and informed everyone who I wanted to get calls from and then turned the phone in to silent mode, I never had the bad experinces that others speak about and I was not going to be intimidated by morons over the phone. I did all my correspondence by letter and or email and insisted on this

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:52 pm
I put my ring tone on my mobile to the same as my message tone, and made sure I entered any numbers from my creditors so I knew to ignore those calls.

I did write and tell my creditors that I would only deal in snail mail - and they ignored me.

GettingHelp
by GettingHelp » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:12 pm
Hi Tracey, I am in the same situation as you, yesterday was my worst day for calls, I did what everyone suggested, phone on silent, actually had 22 calls yesterday from one company, So I answered and was quite proud of myself I handled it with dignity but was firm. Be strong I know its not easy :)

ashb
by ashb » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:11 am
well done Getting Help.

You should send them all a letter saying from now on you will deal with them by letter or email. If they continu to harras you then say you know your rights and you will ignore all calls

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:46 am
You will probably find that it won't make a lot of difference. Bear in mind that you are writing directly to the creditor, and these calls come from a call centre, and all they are interested in is getting their money.

Just ignore them.

Andy1964
by Andy1964 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:31 am
Hi Tracey
Whichever way you handle the calls is fine, I always answered the phone at home if I was in, I never returned any answerphone messages, after all I am trying to cut down on my bills, I told them I had a mobile phone but refused to give the number, when I did speak to any of them I told them to look on the screen in front of them and the reason for them having to call me was there and nothing had changed since the last conversation.
I made token payments once a month to each creditor which kept them happy but didnt stop the calls while the IVA process was underway.
I gladly gave them my IP's number although I doubt if any of them actualy made contact, cos they wouldn't have got a payment off them either!
I also politely reminded them that if it wasn't for people such as me they would not have a job.
You will see an end to the calls sooner than you think, hang in there x

plasticdaft
Forum Expert
Contact
by plasticdaft » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:59 pm
The calls can be a real pain but as others have said,make no difference to how an IVA is processed. Ignore,talk,shout,scream,whatever action you take has no effect whatsoever on your IVA and while the people on the phone can often be very nasty remember one thing,you can always hang up if you are getting too stressed,and unplug the phone if you want peace and quiet.

They do go away once things get sorted(although often not right away)

Paul

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:00 pm
Well said Paul.

I totally ignored mine, and my worst creditor - Barclaycard, didn't even bother to vote!

Cath
by Cath » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:01 pm
Good old Barclaycard, everyone's favourite creditor!

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:03 pm
Aren't they just! Wonderful people![:D]

Tracey
by Tracey » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:42 pm
Hi Everyone.

Thanks for your messages feeling much better. A lot of my debt is with Barclays so might have a rough ride with them! Will have to see but from what I have heard they are not very friendly.

Tracey

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Barclays are a nightmare!

If you can change your numbers, then I would.
32 posts Page 1 of 3
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”