Equity Release

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
  • 1
  • 2
19 posts Page 1 of 2

 

User avatar
Nat14
Posts: 32
by Nat14 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:44 am
Hello Again!

We are in the last year of my IVA - 12 payments to make!! We have to release money from our mortgage this year, although we haven't heard from our IVA practitioner! Is it likely that my current mortgage company will remortgage it for me? They are Mortgage Express. What happens if they won't?

Many thanks,

Natalie

 

User avatar
kallis3
Forum Expert
Posts: 71944
Contact
by kallis3 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:52 am
Hi Nat,

If you are not able to remortgage, then it is possible that you may have to continue for a further twelve months.

Exactly what does it say in your proposal/Chairmans report?

 

User avatar
Nat14
Posts: 32
by Nat14 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:07 pm
Hi, it states the amount that has to be released in the final year then says that if we are unable to release this the IVA can be continued for a further year. Really don't want to do this if we can help it though!! Really need to get it over and done with as soon as possible!!!

Natalie

 

User avatar
MelanieGiles
Industry Expert
Posts: 47612
Contact
by MelanieGiles » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:44 pm
Unless you have a loan to value ratio of less than 70%, I would prepare yourself for that further year. In the long run this may be a better option, as if you are forced to raise money by way of a re-mortgage this loan will continue far beyond that additional year.

 

User avatar
northumbrian69
Posts: 316
by northumbrian69 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:25 pm
In April I will be into my 4th year which is when my equity release clause is supposed to kick in, I am absolutely dreading it, I don't have enough equity to raise 85% LTV so I guess my IP will be going back to my creditors and telling them that there isn't any equity available. All my IVA states is that if I am unable to re mortgage a variation meeting will be called, it doesn't say anything about 12 extra payments in lieu of remortgage.
The uncertainty of this subject is really worrying, the rules seem to be constantly changing. [V][V][V]

 

User avatar
MelanieGiles
Industry Expert
Posts: 47612
Contact
by MelanieGiles » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:14 pm
Your IP is extremely optimistic if he/she thinks that banks are going to start lending again in the severe sub-prime marketplace. There are still insufficient funds available to lend generally, which means that lenders can afford to be very choosy.

Personally I think that the six year option is far better for you, as at least you can see and end to the debts in a relatively short period of time, compared the the extended payments you would have to pay if you took out an increased mortgage.

 

User avatar
Nat14
Posts: 32
by Nat14 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:10 am
Hi!

I spoke to the Mortgage adviser yesterday, he is going to call me back today to let me know if anyone is prepared to lend us the extra money - not looking good though! We are preparing for year 6!!

I found that I'm much happier since speaking to him as I realised that there is support out there for us after the IVA, he will help us find a decent mortgage later down the line. He's is currently looking at our utilities bills, insurances etc to see if they can be reduced further....we are so penny concious though that we regularly go through and do this ourselves.

I'll update once I have the news....good or bad!!

N x

 

User avatar
Nat14
Posts: 32
by Nat14 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:29 am
Hello!

Quick update....Mortgage adviser unable to help, there was a lender that was interested in lending to us but we were unable to get the valuation we needed... :(
Just really unfortunate timing I think with the current state of the economy.

Waiting to hear back from our IP now to see what the next step is...

N x

 

User avatar
kallis3
Forum Expert
Posts: 71944
Contact
by kallis3 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:41 am
Hi Nat,

Bad news on the remortgage, I think you could possibly be looking at an extension.

Let us know what your IP says.

 

User avatar
Nat14
Posts: 32
by Nat14 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:02 am
Hi Kallis,

Hopefully I will hear back from them today, I'll keep you posted.

Nat

 

User avatar
Nat14
Posts: 32
by Nat14 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:55 pm
Hello!!! Spoken to IP and have decided to wait until September then propose to the creditors that we continue with our payments for an additional 12 months...I know that this is the best option for us but really disappointed that we have to go into the 6th year :(

 

User avatar
Shining
Posts: 27023
by Shining » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:21 am
Hi Nat, not what you wanted but you know now that after the additional 12 months it will be definitely the end.

I wish you a smooth journey for the remainder of your IVA, I feel that there will be a few of us in this position unless there is a big change ahead in the mortgage world.

 

User avatar
Darkdog
Posts: 146
by Darkdog » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:38 am
I know this is a long way of for us at present, but I kinda hope ours is still in negative equity when the time comes then should not have to go the extra year.

 

User avatar
plasticdaft
Forum Expert
Posts: 9487
Contact
by plasticdaft » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:46 am
As Mel has pointed out,it may actually be beneficial to not get a remortgage and to extend into a 6th year because at the end of year 6 your credit file will be clear and you can look at mainstream lenders rather than get ripped off in the sub prime market.
If you do get an expensive remortgage you have to remember that there will be tie ins as well and will cost you more in the long run.

Paul

 

User avatar
kallis3
Forum Expert
Posts: 71944
Contact
by kallis3 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:49 am
I doubt we will be able to remortgage due to our age, so an extra 12 months will be ok with me.
  • 1
  • 2
19 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests