Any advice please ???

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
26 posts Page 2 of 2

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:36 pm
Thanks for that Sarah.

Is that just a legal requirement for CCCS or for everyone? I only ask as we were never informed of this when we went for an IVA.

MelanieGiles
Industry Expert
Contact
by MelanieGiles » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:51 pm
Sarah

The requirement to meet self-employed clients, and clients with complex financial affairs, does not come from the insolvency rules, but from best practice guidance under SIP3.

Sorry to be all techie on you, but we have to ensure that advice on the forum from experts is accurate.

Goosed
by Goosed » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:48 am
MelanieGiles wrote:

Sarah

The requirement to meet self-employed clients, and clients with complex financial affairs, does not come from the insolvency rules, but from best practice guidance under SIP3.

Sorry to be all techie on you, but we have to ensure that advice on the forum from experts is accurate.
I think my financial situation does have some complications. At the moment my hours have not been cut, so I am able to service my debts,so surely I wouldn`t be succesful with an application for an IVA until my earnings are cut (July)?.
I also have a couple of cards which I have added my partners name to over time, would this mean they would be liable for the debt on these as well as me and if this is the case, would they have to apply for an IVA in their name too or would it be a joint IVA?
Do these circumstances dictate that I would be better choosing an IP close by?

size5
Industry Expert
Contact
by size5 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:58 am
Your choice of IP is of course entirely a matter for you, but a visit to www.iva.com would not hurt, neither would an initial chat to see what your options are. Forewarned is forearmed as it were.

It is likely from your description above that your partners name is as an additional cardholder, rather than a joint signatory, so there should be no ill effect there.

Regards.

Goosed
by Goosed » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:35 am
size5 wrote:

Your choice of IP is of course entirely a matter for you, but a visit to www.iva.com would not hurt, neither would an initial chat to see what your options are. Forewarned is forearmed as it were.

It is likely from your description above that your partners name is as an additional cardholder, rather than a joint signatory, so there should be no ill effect there.

Regards.
Thank you size 5. I`ve spent the last few days reading posts and blogs on this superb forum, and looking at IP reviews on iva.com. I`m really grateful for the help and advice that people have posted.
I`m gonna sit down on my day off next week and make a few phone calls to some of you kind IP`s...Hey,I wonder if the Glazers could have got an IVA instead of remortgaging Old Trafford[V]

CCCS Counsellor
by CCCS Counsellor » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:56 am
MelanieGiles wrote:

Sarah

Hi Melanie,

Thank you for correcting my earlier post, no problem getting “all techie”[:D]. As long as the information is correct. Just wanted to make sure that people were aware of the reasons behind our outsourcing, and to make it clear it’s nothing to do with staff experience as Michael mentioned in his earlier post. Our IP Jackie is extremely professional and has a fantastic team!

Michael Peoples
Industry Expert
Contact
by Michael Peoples » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:11 am
Hi Sarah. My point is that if a debtor is self employed they are better advised to contact an IP directly rather than contact the CCCS. Apart from the delay in having the initial appointment there is then a further delay while the file is outsourced and that firm then has to contact the debtor. This can cause undue stress to debtors which they could avoid by ringing a different IP firm.

Michael Peoples
Industry Expert
Contact
by Michael Peoples » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:19 am
'Our IP Jackie is extremely professional and has a fantastic team!'

Just picking up on your point. Do the CCCS only have one IP? Surely that is insufficient for an organisation of your size?

CCCS Counsellor
by CCCS Counsellor » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:36 pm
Michael Peoples wrote:

Hi Sarah. My point is that if a debtor is self employed they are better advised to contact an IP directly rather than contact the CCCS. Apart from the delay in having the initial appointment there is then a further delay while the file is outsourced and that firm then has to contact the debtor. This can cause undue stress to debtors which they could avoid by ringing a different IP firm.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply.

As you maybe are aware the initial appointment we have with clients’ is to help them complete a financial statement to look and discuss all their options, at this stage an IVA may not even be a solution for them.

At the moment the lead time for appointments is three days however, the client has the option of an immediate appointment if they have all their details ready and a counsellor is available. If an IVA is discussed then details are immediately sent to the relevant IP who contacts the client within around 48 hours.

Sarah

Michael Peoples
Industry Expert
Contact
by Michael Peoples » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:42 pm
Thanks Sarah. I realise that only a small percentage of your clients are suitable for IVAs and it does seem your lead time has come down. That timescale is not too bad.

MelanieGiles
Industry Expert
Contact
by MelanieGiles » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:12 pm
I have met Jackie and I can endorse Sarah's comments that she is a very professional IP - and it is good to know that clients referred to CCCS for IVAs are not experiencing an unduly long wait in getting advice.
26 posts Page 2 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”