Will it affect my ability to practice as a lawyer?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1

amanda.rn
by amanda.rn » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:38 am
Will it affect my ability to practice as a lawyer?

Michael Peoples
Industry Expert
Contact
by Michael Peoples » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:03 am
Hi Amanda and welcome from me too.
You can still practice as a lawyer while in an IVA but there can be restrictions. For example the Law Society may prevent you from working as a sole trader with a client account but you are normally fine if employed in a practice. You would need to inform the Law Society but to put your mind at ease you could call them on a no names basis for confirmation. We have done IVAs for solicitors in the past but there may be something in your contract that could cause a problem. Speak to an IP firm for some advice given your individual circumstances.

NTF Financial Solutions
by NTF Financial Solutions » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:56 pm
There is no hard and fast rule but the SRA may put a restriction on your licence such as restricting where you work and access to client funds. Before you present your proposals contact (or get your IP to do it) the SRA to get their full support.

MelanieGiles
Industry Expert
Contact
by MelanieGiles » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:38 am
I am not convinced that there is any requirement to advise the Law Society of an IVA, but you should check this out directly. I am currently acting for a number of solicitiors, and so far as I am aware there has been no LS intervention or pre-qualifications. Can the other IP firms who have responded to this post let me know their authorities for the advice provided for my own benefit please.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”