Can personal tax debts be included in a IVA

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1

robert2519
by robert2519 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:03 pm
Can personal tax debts be included in a IVA

Michael Peoples
Industry Expert
Contact
by Michael Peoples » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:11 pm
Hi Robert and welcome to the Forum.
HMRC are no different to credit card companies, banks etc. Their debts are unsecured and we do see a growth in self employed calls in January and July when the payments on account are to be made.

HMRC do insist that returns are submitted regardless of whether you can pay so even if you do not have the funds for the payment on account ensure the return is in. HMRC are a commercial creditor and provided your case meets their criteria and you do not have a history of non compliance there is no reason any proposal would be rejected. Contact an IP firm for some free advice and good luck.

happy buddha
by happy buddha » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:05 pm
hi robert,
in my situation I'm self employed and although i didn't owe any tax payments to hrmc when i got my iva approved i got a letter and i spoke to hrmc who told me that i will get a brand new tax reference number to start from the april 2010 and when i do my final self assessment on the 4th april 2010 with my old tax referance number they will calculate what if anything is owed to them and forward any repayment to my iva company to go towards the iva debt.
hope i've explained that well
best of luck mate

MelanieGiles
Industry Expert
Contact
by MelanieGiles » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:22 am
Taxation issues can be complicated under IVA proceedings, so if you have decided on this route do choose an IP with experience of dealing with HMRC on a regular basis. A lot of the larger "factory" would naturally steer away from this type of case.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”