Soldiers

8 posts Page 1 of 1

wickerwish
by wickerwish » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:47 pm
The poor young 19 year old soldier killed abroad lived in my village and i work with his dads uncle. Makes you wonder how many need to die before Gordon Brown brings the soldiers out of afganistan.

Skippy
by Skippy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:22 pm
That's so sad, my thoughts are with his family and friends.

I'm not going to get into the rights and wrongs of the war as this isn't the right place, but I do wonder how many more lives have to be lost.

angela18
by angela18 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:32 pm
there was a young lad buried today in Gateshead not far from me, today.. Its heart breaking!!

Shining
by Shining » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:03 pm
My thoughts are with the family at this sad time. x

size5
Industry Expert
Contact
by size5 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:44 pm
I agree that this forum is not the place to get into the rights and wrongs, but I do believe that a word of condolence, if you feel it is appropriate, is more than acceptable.

On a personal level, and I am fascinated by the conflicts of the past, whether right or wrong, especially the 2 world wars, I can only thank the Lord that the losses we have are not of the same magnitude of the past, eg 50,000 dead or wounded on ONE DAY at the Battle Of The Somme.

Having lost people very close to me very recently, albeit in different circumstances, my thoughts and prayers go to all those that have to bear this burden now.

Regards.

Skippy
by Skippy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:58 pm
Well said Mike.

I'm also fascinated by previous wars, and I can't even begin to imagine what it must have been like when you read about so many young men dying on one day.

At the end of the day Henry Allingham (WW1 veteran) had the right idea - 'You might as well talk first, you have to talk last anyway'.

My heart goes out to those families who have lost loved ones in all wars.

plasticdaft
Forum Expert
Contact
by plasticdaft » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:17 pm
As much as it would appear that we are getting nowhere in Afghanistan,the infrastructure of the country is getting better all the time. It is a complex conflict and cannot be measured by yards of the battlefield gained or lost. The military personnel out there know what they have gotten themselves into,and believe they are doing a worthwhile job.

The sight of the union jack draped over coffins in the cargo hold of an aircraft is a terrible one(having witnessed it first hand),and my heart goes out to anyone who has lost loved ones in any of our countries conflicts.

Paul

MelanieGiles
Industry Expert
Contact
by MelanieGiles » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:11 pm
My brother-in-law was killed whilst serving as a soldier in Northern Ireland - in what is still the largest daily loss of life in the military since the end of WW2.

In those days Northern Ireland was a dark place, but by working hard and having both sides learning to reconcile their differences it is now a largely peaceful community, and one where I am very proud to have an office staffed by people from both sides of the religious divide. This would probably have been impossible 20 years ago, and without exception you will not find a more friendly nation. I love the time I spend in Belfast now, and we can put the past behind us.

Without being political, I am afraid that I do not feel that same thing about the conflicts in the Middle East, although serving soldiers do their duty wherever they are asked to go without question, and with sheer professionalism every time. If they do not agree with the politics, they will probably earn better money in civvie street. They are all true heroes, and like Paul I was glad to be amongst them for nearly 20 years.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “friends corner”