Where do I go!!

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
22 posts Page 1 of 2

Krazzy
by Krazzy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:35 am
I was told about IVA by someone that actually had one a while back but thought at the time I dont need that, however just been hit with a HMRC tax bill and well one thing or another and it has just dawned on me what I have been doing over the last 18 months...I was fine up until then personal cicumstance left me in a dizzy.

Anyway there are so many IVA people to approach and I am sure there are some out there that are better than others, I see Payplan is one that is favoured by quite a few but again I am sure they have their pitfalls...basically the question is simply this...

Does anyone have any suggestions or leads aso to 1-3 people I could approach to talk with as I do not wish to do this blind....have been this for 18 months now seen the light..so to speak..

Cheers

Mark[:I]

Michael Peoples
Industry Expert
Contact
by Michael Peoples » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:43 am
Hi Mark and welcome to the Forum.
First of all you will need to speak to Ip firm that deal with self employed as many do not. They outsource the work to other IP firms and this cause unnecessary delay, expense and hassle.

Most IP firms offer free advice and will draft your proposal on a no win no fee basis. The fees are then agreed with creditors and drawn from your monthly contributions so there are no hidden charges.

You should consider taking some advice now because if you are unable to meet your payment on account due for the end of this month, then you are already trying to play catch up. An IVA would give you a chance to restart as any previous debts to HMRC are incorporated into the IVA and you begin with a totally clean slate. Good luck.

Krazzy
by Krazzy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:46 am
Thank you very much indeed for your prompt reply, I will be looking to speak with someone today at some point, silly little things like work getting in the way.:)

I am kind of hoping that people can give me a few suggestions as to maybe where to start , but I see you said that not all IVA do self employed, I guess I can whittle away a few then.

I really do appreciate your time and reply.

Kindest Regards

Mark

Michael Peoples
Industry Expert
Contact
by Michael Peoples » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:08 am
There are a number of IP firms on this forum who will happily give you free advice so ring around and see if any can help.

Krazzy
by Krazzy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:06 am
Thank you once again, I thought and felt like I was the only person in the world going through this but I see from the Forum that it is pretty real for a lot of people.

I have spoken with PAYPLAN who are sending me out information , one last thing I am about to move back to London, can I still get a letting agreement signed if I go onto a IVA?

Mark

Michael Peoples
Industry Expert
Contact
by Michael Peoples » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:10 am
If your credit file is damaged it may be difficult to get a property to rent via an agaency as they would have access to credit checks. This would apply irrespective of wether you entered an IVA,DMP or bankruptcy. It would probably be better to keep references from your current landlord and try and find a suitable property from a private landlord. Your IP would have no problem with you having a rental agreement but some agencies do have a problem with clients who do not have good credit histories.

I see Payplan are sending you information. Do they do their own self employed IVAs or will they forward you to someone else?

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:16 am
Hi Krazzy and welcome from me.

Either click on the expert link on the left hand side of the page, and there are IP's who post on here who are excellent with the self employed.

Otherwise visit www.iva.com for a list of companies and reviews. Give one or two a ring but make sure you tell them you are self employed and ask if they deal with this themselves.

You will have to have a face to face interview with an IP if you are self employed.

Krazzy
by Krazzy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:23 am
Many Thanks indeed for your prompt replies, I with regards to getting a place to live I think maybe I should move sooner rather than later then so that the credit checks are all fine, the sad thing is my credit has been awesome well forever jst the last 18 months I have let things run away from me...(we all have a story I guess..)

I will have a look at the link to see about other IP's yes that is the best option as for Payplan yes they do do it themselves, I went to them as I read somewhere that they were setup by the Credit body byt the Creditors to help...so some would say better the devil you know..or not in my case...

Kind Regards
Mark[:I]

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:26 am
Hi Mark,

I'm with Payplan and so far have been happy with the service I have received and I'm almost 2 years in.

I do recommend that you ring more than one company though. You need to be happy with the IP you choose.

wuffy
by wuffy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:17 pm
Hi Mark
I assume I am allowed to recommend on here and I would say have a word With Michael 'The Peeps' Peoples.
Ignore the fact that he supports Leeds and that he loves, and I mean Loves with a capital L, Barry Manilow, and you will find he is a very helpful chappie :-)
Last edited by wuffy on Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:19 pm
Yes, you can recommend, and Michael does come highly recommended.

Just make sure that you are happy with who you choose.

wuffy
by wuffy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:55 pm
Just to add whilst I do highly recommend Michael, the other experts are also worth contacting, I can only speak of my contact with Michael but didnt want to come across badly about the others on here as everyone is so helpful....phew, was worrying about that :-)

Michael Peoples
Industry Expert
Contact
by Michael Peoples » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:59 pm
After that slanderous remark about Barry Manilow no one will ever come to me for advice. It was bad enough being a Leeds fan......

Krazzy
by Krazzy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:01 pm
Cheers Wuffy, I will certainly drop him a line to see what if anything he can do for me, if only advice...I am really out my detph on this one having had total control over every aspect of my life before hand and feel a bit like walking in the dark blidfolded to be honest.
Please fell free to recommend a few others please as I will certainly contact them all and make my own decision from that.

Thanks again, and if anyone is interested I will keep everypdated.

Kindest Regards

Mark [:I]

Skippy
by Skippy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:01 pm
I'm not sure I should still talk to you Michael after the FA Cup 3rd round!
22 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”