i bought a vehicle for £8,000 on credit

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
6 posts Page 1 of 1

dean.td
by dean.td » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:43 pm
i bought a vehicle for £8,000 on credit, in five months the engine seized, it had 36 months warranty still left over, i took the company to court and lost, the garantor, was my sister, since she has a house they have gone for her to get the loan back, it has now escalated to £20,000, how can i get the debt off her and onto my name, so i can pay for it, i live on a army pension of £350 per month, what do i do?

rayb
by rayb » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:01 pm
Hi,

I am going 10 years back to my Car Finance days when I worked in the Industry and I am pretty sure that you cannot change it over and as your Sister was the Guarantor she will be liable if you cannot pay the Debt.

Michael Peoples
Industry Expert
Contact
by Michael Peoples » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:49 pm
Your sister should seek legal advice because when she signed a guarantee she agreed to stand over the payments in the event of default. I doubt if she could be liable for the costs involved in the court case which has increased the debt to such a level. There surely must be a cap on her liability.

RHB
by RHB » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:57 pm
Would it not be worth appealing, an engine shouldn't seize on a new car?

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:21 pm
Unless they were able to prove any negligence on your part, the engine would have been covered.

Might be worth having a word with Trading Standards?

MelanieGiles
Industry Expert
Contact
by MelanieGiles » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:41 pm
Bankruptcy would be an easy way out of this, if you have no assets at risk.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”