What sort of bank account are you allowed

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
6 posts Page 1 of 1

EB2000
by EB2000 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:55 pm
What sort of bank account are you allowed with an IVA?

animaleyes76
by animaleyes76 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:58 pm
Pretty much a basic bank account with no overdraft or credit features. You can set up dd's and do internet banking etc tho.

Maybe a decent(ish) debit card since i read visa electron was being replaced by proper visa debit cards.

That's about your lot. The recommended one on here is usually the Coop (Cashminder I think)

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:12 pm
If your credit will allow, you can have a full bank account, but you must have any overdraft removed.

As Animaleyes says, the Co-op is recommended on here.

You must make sure the bank is not one of your creditors though.

otter
by otter » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:29 am
When I opened a new account they automatically gave me a modest overdraft limit. Do I really need to get it removed even I am not using it? I am worried that the bank will start asking question if I want it to be removed.

Michael Peoples
Industry Expert
Contact
by Michael Peoples » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:43 am
As long as the overdraft is not used on a regular basis there is no problem. Having a small buffer on your account will stop bounced DDs and charges in the event of something unforeseen.

flow13
by flow13 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:56 am
We are with Halifax. We started off with a cashminder account and then after a year they gave us a Visa Electron card. In the 3 and half years we have had this card we have only found one place that won't accept it.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”