possible scam !

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
10 posts Page 1 of 1

Darkdog
by Darkdog » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:02 pm
got a call this afternoon from an automated dial up telling me NOT to hang up but was a genuine message regarding clearing all debts in 1 year based on new legislation from April 6th, please press 5 for an advisor!.
I hung up. then did 1471, number was 044121 6733243, I thought I'd call back to find out who they are, the number is not recognised. so how does that work, detailed for a 1471 call but no such number.

Michael Peoples
Industry Expert
Contact
by Michael Peoples » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:17 pm
Sounds like one of those ambulance chasers who give 'bankruptcy advice'. It is a Birmingham area code but it could be some machine just constantly dialling those on the insolvency register. Ignore it and certainly do not push any numbers as you don't know what you are connecting to.

size5
Industry Expert
Contact
by size5 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:19 pm
A cold call from an automated dialler is something to be ignored at all times in my opinion. If whoever is calling you cannot even be bothered to have a chat with you, or even to give you a number that works are not worth the time of day, even if they do promise that the moon is made out of green cheese!!

Regards.

Darkdog
by Darkdog » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:18 pm
I only rang the number to see who they were as not actually in an IVA yet so not on the register and wondered where they got my number

Michael Peoples
Industry Expert
Contact
by Michael Peoples » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:27 pm
They may be buying data such as missed payment info, defaults or rejected consolidation loan applications. Still ignore it.

Adam Davies
by Adam Davies » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:06 pm
Hi
I think some companies are using the debt relief order as a sales pitch and I think they are charging 50 pounds per month over a twelve month period.
Regards

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:09 pm
If you're not ex directory they could just be dialling at random to see if you are in trouble.

Andy - do you mean that these companies are charging £50 per month to help you do something which only costs you £90 if you do it yourself?

Darkdog
by Darkdog » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:17 pm
ahh I see now,
the DRO date was April 6th but it appears only to apply to relatively low debts and if you have no assets and low or no DI and seems to impose the same restrictions as BR, so not even relevant in our case

Adam Davies
by Adam Davies » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:22 pm
Hi Jan
I think so, but can't be sure. There is no other new legislation clearing debts in one year. I guess if they can show someones DI at 50 pounds and they have no assets and debts under 15k they can do this. Trouble is people can do this themselves for 90 pounds in total through the CAB
Regards

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:22 pm
Exactly! Another ambulance chaser looking to make money?
10 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”