Notice of coding from HMRC

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
17 posts Page 1 of 2

Skippy
by Skippy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:05 pm
A quick warning - if you get a new notice of coding from HMRC check it really carefully.

I received my new one for tax year 2010/2011 and I was being taxed for company benefits (I have none apart from BUPA which is listed separately) and there was also an underpayment which they insisted I had been notified before.

When I phoned to query this I was told that it was wrong and a new notice of coding would be issued. My employer has been notified and my allowance has increased by £300!

Payroll phoned the tax office as this had happened to a few people in the office and they were told there is a problem with tax codes across the country, but they aren't reissuing them as a matter of course, it's down to the individual to query it!

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:16 pm
I shall keep an eye open for that Skip.

Thanks for the info.

Julie
by Julie » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:17 pm
Thanks for the info Skippy. I'll be checking and letting employees know.

Darkdog
by Darkdog » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:22 pm
Oh NO !!!
I have already had loads of calls this year to tax office, got all my allowances wrong, came out of a medical scheme and had a company car change and they only just got this sorted out. earlier this year they had a computer problem which meant they could not do nothing for 6 weeks !

Skippy
by Skippy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:36 pm
When I phoned them they told me they couldn't tell me anything about the underpayment, other than that it was for tax year 08/09 and that it stood. Now they have issued another code and it seems that I haven't underpaid - I'm not convinced they have a clue what they are doing!

I hope you don't have any more problems Darkdog x

Andy1964
by Andy1964 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:45 pm
Excellent heads-up Skippy.

Thanks

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:32 pm
Let's hope that you both get sorted Darkdog and Skippy.

Skippy
by Skippy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:44 pm
Well HMRC strike again!

On Saturday I received 2 different tax codes in the same envelope, one showing an underpayment (of a higher amount to the first one!) and the second one showing no underpayment! They both had a taxable amount of £1 for employer benefits, which I don't have.

We've been away for the weekend, and I came home to notice explaining how they'd worked out an underpayment of yet another amount!

I phoned HMRC and the first thing he asked me was if my tax code was correct - how the hell should I know, they've sent me 3 since January!!! He then went on to explain my tax code had been adjusted as they had to reclaim an underpayment of yet another figure!

When I asked about the £1 I was told it was because there was a figure on my first notice of coding they couldn't reduce it to zero even though it was wrong!!!

They are now going to issue me yet another notice of coding for 10/11, and, wait for it, 09/10! Why, I have no idea.

I don't dispute there is an underpayment (I joined BUPA halfway through a tax year), although I don't trust HMRC to get the amount right - their whole system is pathetic, and if it wasn't for the fact it's taking up my time and could cost me money it would be a joke. I was coming very close to losing my rag with him but Harry was in the room and doesn't like shouting.

I am going to speak to the company accountant when I'm back at work tomorrow, and if there are more problems when the new notices come I'm going to ask him to sit with me while I speak to HMRC as there's more chance of him understanding them than me!

Sorry for the rant, but as you can probably tell I'm fed up!

Darkdog
by Darkdog » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:08 pm
hmmm, touch wood my code now seems to be right and have not had any new ones yet, I have had a couple of variations of £20 or so in my salary even though the code and gross are the same each time, the company who run our salary say its just normal adjustment following the recent code changes, but keeping an eye on it

molly16
by molly16 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:19 pm
my new tax code is BR. when i rang them they said it was due to the time i had claimed invalidity benefit . now dont get me wrong i would love to screw the system but they have had all my taxx p60s from nhs for last 17 years and never have i claimed invalidity benefit . they updated the sytem and my tax code is now the same for this new tax year as it was . they told me there was a glitch in the system . and i was ready to give up my job ....... as BR tax meant it wasnt worth going to work

Skippy
by Skippy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:21 pm
Apparently they have a new computer system which has caused everything to go pear shaped. To add insult to injury, if your tax code is wrong and you don't query it they have said you may not be able to claim it back.

briggadeen
by briggadeen » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:53 pm
Does everyone recieve a notice? So far I haven't got anything.

Skippy
by Skippy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:00 pm
I never used to before I had company benefits (BUPA) so I presume it's because of that.

I wish I'd never joined now!

Darkdog
by Darkdog » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:05 pm
you would normally expect to get coding notices any time from now until April 5th, even without the new computer system they never seem to get company benefits correct, I have been on K codes before due to cock ups in the company car allowance

Darkdog
by Darkdog » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:07 pm
here is a useful site for checking your codes out (and benefits etc)

http://listentotaxman.com/
17 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”