Work

87 posts Page 1 of 6

Skippy
by Skippy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:28 pm
I'm sorry, I need a rant about work.

I know I should be grateful to have a job (and a reasonably well paid one at that) but I'm just so unhappy there at the moment. We are so busy that we can't cope - there are now 3 of us in sales when a few years ago there were 6. We haven't got enough work for 6 people, but we definitely need 1 more, but there's a headcount freeze.

I was off sick for the best part of a week, and although the girls did their best, I went back to over 170 emails. On Friday I burst into tears in front of my boss as I was trying to do something I didn't understand and try to get on top of the work. If we didn't have a mortgage I could quite easily have walked out. Despite not taking a lunch I've still got 150 emails to go back to tomorrow as they were coming in as fast as I could answer them - mostly customer complaints as we can't ship their products!

Just the thought of going back tomorrow makes me feel like I could cry and it never used to be like that.

Sorry for the moan, like I said I know I'm lucky to have a job, but it's really getting to me now.

Thanks for listening xxx

Shining
by Shining » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:31 pm
Oh Tracey, I'm so sorry things are not good at work. I had a bad week last week but nothing in comparison to yours, can the others not help with the backlog of the emails? forward some of them on to them and divide them up, surely you can't be expected to deal with them solely?

I know we're all lucky to have jobs but we spend a long time there and do need to feel happy whilst there.

Skippy
by Skippy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:15 pm
Thanks both. It's just work that's making me feel like this, there's nothing else.

Unfortunately the other girls are both snowed under as well so they can't help me, although one of them has kept back some of the urgent stuff that she helped me with.

If I could catch up I could just about manage, but it's the catching up that's the problem!

I'm in all next week and then I've got a couple of days holiday and it's got to the stage that I'm worrying about cancelling them - luckily we've got something planned so I can't!

In some ways I'm glad I cried in front of my boss as at least he can't claim to think that everything is ok! I've also told my supervisor that I'm thinking of leaving, so they do know how bad it is - whether or not it'll make any difference is another matter!

Not that I'll be going anywhere - I had a look at some job websites when I was off last week and I don't have the qualifications for most jobs!

Julie
by Julie » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:29 pm
Skippy, you be careful its so easy to get stressed out over work. Your boss should get some help in - now they are aware you are struggling they have a duty of care to look after you. It may mean they get a temp in, so be it.

Could you just concentrate on clearing the emails -not do anything else?Prioritise the emails.

You certainly cannot miss lunch breaks and cancel holidays. If you do this, then you're showing them you can cope even though you're obviously understaffed.

I've been off work for 2 weeks and have another 2 weeks off due to depression, yet I know I'll have a mountain of work to go back to. I can log on remotely and do so just to keep on top of things.

Keep job searching, I'm sure you have the experience if not formal qualifications for vacancies. Always still worth applying, you never know.

Try to keep your chin up xx

Skippy
by Skippy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:36 pm
I tried prioritising the emails on Friday, but unfortunately that didn't work as management in the US wanted other things done. Unfortunately our end customers are the big car manufacturers and they say jump and we ask how high.

I'm going in tomorrow with the attitude of I'll do as much as I can and what I can't do will have to wait - I doubt it'll last when I'm there, but I'll try!

I'll definitely keep looking for a new job, there's got to be something for me somewhere!

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:51 pm
Skip, I'm so sorry you're having such a bad time at work. Don't let it get on top of you, you can only do so much.

You know you don't need to worry about having a rant on here, and you can rant to me off forum anytime you like.

I hope next week is better.

Julie
by Julie » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:08 am
Hope work is okay today Skippy and you're not stressed.

xx

Skippy
by Skippy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:41 am
Thanks everyone. At the moment I'm quite chilled (I wasn't first thing when I was the only one in as the others were doing the school run!) but that could all change when the States wake up this afternoon!

Shining
by Shining » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:15 am
Try and stay calm Skippy, easy for me to say after the week I had last week but I'm much better at giving advice then acting on it. xx

Wizzzard
by Wizzzard » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:26 pm
A boss once told me just before he died .... never ever stress about work ... there are only so many hours to do things in and the things that don't get done will have to wait. Best bloke I ever worked for.

Skippy
by Skippy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:51 pm
That's a really good way of looking at things Wizzz, I just wish my company looked at things like that!

Julie
by Julie » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:18 pm
Hope this afternoon was ok Skippy xx

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:15 pm
Excellent advice Ray, and nice to see you back.

Hope this afternoon went ok.

Dominic
by Dominic » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:16 pm
this i like, feeling peed off with work myself right now

A boss once told me just before he died .... never ever stress about work ... there are only so many hours to do things in and the things that don't get done will have to wait. Best bloke I ever worked for.

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:28 pm
I am trying to get early retirement, but I don't mind my job really. It pays the bills!
87 posts Page 1 of 6
Return to “friends corner”