IVA and IT agencies

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
17 posts Page 1 of 2

Dilbrain
by Dilbrain » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:27 am
I posted here a month ago with regards to my situation. I have been out of work since Nov 15th. I managed to pay my mortgage and bills up to this point. My IPA agreed to a payment break of 3 months, thereafter a meeting with the creditors looms. This is a new topic however :(
I have worked in the IT indusrty for over 20 years and have had no luck with securing a new contract, heck even an interview. And I have had the correct credentials for these posts , I have a degree and a positive attitude , my CV contains some impressive indusrty leaders.
Yesterday I was on the brink of an interview offer when I was asked about any criminal convictions..I answered no , and then they asked if I was bankrupt or insolvent. When I replied about the IVA...they lost interest.I called a few other agencies with regards to vancant roles , and instead of waiting for news of an interview I told them upfornt about the IVA..in each and every case..they decided not to progress. I am on the brink of losing my family home . I can't get work to pay my IVA because of my IVA...help !
Last edited by Dilbrain on Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:36 am
How awful for you! I really don't see why having an IVA should make any difference to any job, but I really can't see how it would affect IT.

Perhaps it would be wise to wait until asked about your finances before volunteering the information? Some companies may not be bothered and if you got as far as an interview you could always phone up anonymously and ask if having an IVA makes any difference.

I hope you find something soon.

Declan at DebtFreeDirect
by Declan at DebtFreeDirect » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:07 am
Hi Dilbrain
I’m truly shocked at this and am baffled by the attitude of the agencies / potential employers. Entering into an IVA shows that you have made a serious commitment to repaying your debts and this should be applauded. I really do wish you the best of luck in finding a job.

Thanks

Julie
by Julie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:24 am
I am disappointed at the attitude of employers, can't say I'm entirely shocked. I wonder if its another way of reducing applicants in a flooded market. Quite silly if you ask me, employers are risking out on potential excellent employees.

It would be interesting to know if these companies are asking existing employees the same question???

Good luck with the jobsearch Dilbrain xx

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:30 am
I bet they don't!

I wonder how many of their employees or potential employees are really suffering financially but haven't done anything about it yet?

They are far more of a risk than someone in an IVA or who is BR.

Dominic
by Dominic » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:22 pm
if you work in IT and have a job or position for public body or governemnt department that requires security clearance they look at your finances, if youa re insolvent it could casue a potential employer a headache, it is however wrng and horrible, s long sa you explain your situation you should still get your sc sorted out

country girl
by country girl » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:39 pm
Hi
I agree it seems really unfair, we are not criminals. I work with cash and have done for a long time. My money problems have built up over a number of years but I have never once felt tempted to do any thing dishonest!

MelanieGiles
Industry Expert
Contact
by MelanieGiles » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:48 pm
It continues to be an absolute disgrace that employers can be so prejudicial about people who are genuinely trying to address their debts in a responsible manner. It is time that we had some form of legislation to discriminate against this - as we do with sexual and race/religion issues.

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:10 pm
Couldn't agree more Mel.

Dominic
by Dominic » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:29 pm
as far as i recall if you go for SC, Security Clearance for a public sector job as long as you are hoenst about it should not be an obstacle.

insolvency does not mean you are dishonest most people these days on average incomes are on a finacial knife edge one blip is enough to tip you over sometimes and we are constnatly pressured to live outside our means on a daily basis too.

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:52 am
Depends on the job in the public sector. A lot of police forces don't want to know if you are BR or in an IVA.

Michael2074
by Michael2074 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:31 pm
How to we go about creating this legislation? I am happy to write to MP etc... The must be lots of people in IVA's that may need to find new jobs for what ever reasons.

kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:49 pm
I can't see it getting anywhere. Firms, be they public or private sector, can set their own criteria for employing people.

I do agree that those of us who have addressed our problems are a much better risk than those who haven't, but there is still a bit of a stigma attached to being deep in debt.

Dilbrain
by Dilbrain » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:51 pm
Hi all :)
Well I managed to get a permamnent job at a decent company , still working in IT. My new problem is as follows:- My monthly salary is far less than my previous take home pay as a contractor. This is usually the case , now at least I have sick pay and paid holidays plus other benefits.
I took a 4 month payment holiday , all sanctioned by my IPA. They have been very good so far.
I have informed them that I am now in work and would like to continue paying the remainder of my IVA plan. I have already made 39 payments , 21 to go.
So far I have paid back £21500.
I explained that my income was reduced quite significantly and have sent them a new income and expenditure report. I have cut right down on my expenditure to allow some surplus for the IVA. I have outlined my cutbacks to the IPA.
I am worried that the shortfall will not be accepted by my creditors. Does anyone have experience of this situation, and what might I expect?
I am with Grant Thornton who seem pretty understanding.
Thanks in advance :)
Last edited by Dilbrain on Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Peoples
Industry Expert
Contact
by Michael Peoples » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:10 pm
Hi Dilbrain. Congratulations on finding new work and good to see your IP is understanding. GT will now have to call a variation to get sanction for the new payment regime which should be fine as the changes have been as a result of circumstances beyond your control. Creditors may ask for an extension to achieve nearer the original dividend but hopefully not and you can be discharged as normal in 21 months time.
17 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”