Any recommendations

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
18 posts Page 1 of 2

RB_MK
by RB_MK » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:45 pm
Hi there

We are considering applying for an IVA due to a number of 0% credit cards that have now expired and have gone to their rate of between 25-30% and also other debt that has risen.

I have recently been approached by 'MoneyExtra' who are calling back on Friday to go through some details. Has anyone used them?

I would be interested in any recommendations as I do not want to have my fingers burnt

Thanks
Rich

Adam Davies
by Adam Davies » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:47 pm
Hi and welcome
I have not heard of this company.
My advice is to speak with several companies/experts so that you get advice in plenty. Then choose the company that you feel most comfortable with
Regards

Michael Peoples
Industry Expert
Contact
by Michael Peoples » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:52 pm
Hi RB-MK and welcome to the Forum.

I cannot speak for MoneyExtra as I personally have not heard of them. I would suggest you ring more than one IP firm as you will get free no obligation advice. Make sure you are comfortable with who you speak to and your questions and queries are addressed professionally. Do not pay anything to anyone unless you are completely comfortable with them and happy to proceed with their service. If the people you speak to cannot answer your questions they may be salespeople and be aware of dubious tactics and practices.

Finally, I would say that you are doing the right thing in speaking to an IP firm before everything gets worse and hopefully you can find the right outcome. Good luck.

Andrew Graveson
by Andrew Graveson » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:55 pm
Hello Rich,

I've never heard of them either.

I'd recommend that you find a firm to help you that you have reason to trust, rather than going with a firm who contacted you.

Michael Peoples
Industry Expert
Contact
by Michael Peoples » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:57 pm
I have just looked at the site for MoneyExtra and viewed the debt section. They talk of Informal Voluntary Agreements and say that these are abbreviated to IVAs. If a company does not know that IVA stands for Individual Voluntary Arrangement it does not engender a huge amount of faith in their experience.
Last edited by Michael Peoples on Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RB_MK
by RB_MK » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:03 pm
Hi

Thank you for such a quick response. I will have a dig around and see other feedback people have had from other companies.

Many thanks
Rich

Adam Davies
by Adam Davies » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:07 pm
Hi
Certainly doesn't inspire confidence
Regards

relieved33
by relieved33 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:14 pm
Hi Rich

if you look on www.iva.com you can see several different companies and the feedback they have had. I am with cleardebt and have been extremely happy, as have others. Melanie Giles, who posts on here alot, comes very highly recommended too. I would certainly start with those if I were you. You need to go with someone you feel very comfortable with - five years is a long time! Good Luck!!

RB_MK
by RB_MK » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:16 pm
Hi Michael Peoples

I tried to PM you but the service is not working. I tried to link to your site but the URL is not working. Was'nt sure if you knew or not. This was the message.

"Too many redirects occurred trying to open “http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com/”. This might occur if you open a page that is redirected to open another page which then is redirected to open the original page."

www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Thanks
Rich

Andrew Graveson
by Andrew Graveson » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:17 pm
MoneyExtra is a lead generation website. They appear to be selling enquiries to a panel of debt solutions firms.

Some very well written debt articles there. My favourite quotes:

"Today you can find out a lot of IVA organization offering very lucrative offers, but you should check them well before opting them"

"The whole concept of debt advice in Tunbridge Wells may be an anathema to many people"

"It is always best to stick with a UK company for help (or at least one with offices in the UK). If you choose a debt management company abroad, then they may not be able to help you as much as one that is based in the UK"

!!

Michael Peoples
Industry Expert
Contact
by Michael Peoples » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:53 pm
Sorry Rich. I am not too computer literate and have spoken to IT. They said they will sort the problem out.

Sorry again.

Lisa2009
by Lisa2009 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:07 pm
I would recommend having a one to one chat with any of the Ip's that post on this forum. They are all very proffessional and will not judge you. They will also discuss with you, ALL the options available to you.

RB_MK
by RB_MK » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:29 pm
Thank you for everyones help and input

Much appreciated

Tina Shortland
by Tina Shortland » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:30 pm
Hi RB MK, it is always a relief to see new posters on the forum checking things out before they commit themselves. As everyone has said, speaking to a few companies is a good idea so you can compare what is being said and get a feel for the kind of company that will be helping you. Don't worry, every good company is used to clients doing their research so don't be concerned with wasting anyone's time! Hope your meeting tomorrow goes well for starters though.

Regards,

Max
by Max » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:32 pm
If is of any help to you I went to 7/8 coys - all by the way said "no chance" - I found Melanie Giles who took me on board and obtained approval for my IVA at first attemp; after service from her coy is also excellent. You need to feel comfortable with whom you finally choose - that is important
18 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”