Creditors meeting on 3rd of April

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
31 posts Page 2 of 3
Oya
by Oya » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:21 pm
moira717 wrote:
Thank you for that information foggy, I thought they wouldn't contact the creditors until after they had contacted me so worried that would be another week. Last 4 weeks seem like 4 yrs! Also I wondered if accepted they said first payment would be made 2 months after decision. Am I right in thinking I carry on making my reduced payments to creditors during these 2 months? Thank you also oya looks like we at same stage, lets hope we both get a positive outcome. Been a Rollercoaster, although have to say cutting up my credit cards was an empowering moment, just a shame I hadn't cut them up years ago. Know whatever happens this is going to be a new start from me. Last 2 months have stuck to tight budget and am taking note of every penny I spend, looking at ways to save money. My debts have been more out of necessity than anything, my first husband passed away leaving me with 4 young children (who do not come cheaply). Telling my now husband about this has lifted a weight from me, although he knew my first husband had left me in debt, I never told him how much. Recent life events i.e. looking after sick parents led to reduced salary and spiralling debts which I didn't want to worry him with. However hard it is my advice is to tell people, have told my older son's as they won't be getting much financial help from me for a long time! Couldn't see a possible iva succeeding without being honest with people.

Moira i asked that question as i made 1 reduced payments during this prossess and i been told because my meeting is on 3rd April and standing orders for the 1st i was advised to cancel the ss as i wouldnt matter anymore. So i only made 1 reduced payments. If and hopefully my iva accepted i also been told the payments will start 2 months later and i dont need to make any aditional payment. So i believe you can stop paying as well.
moira717
by moira717 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:35 pm
Oh that's interesting step change told me to offer reduced payments which is what i've been struggling to do as decided on amounts without first sorting out a budget so to be honest were more than I could afford long term and more than my via. They said to keep up payments in case iva not accepted and have to go into debt management plan. Was worried if stopped payments the creditors may not vote in my favour as hadn't made effort to pay
moira717
by moira717 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:37 pm
Ps they definitely said 2 months after acceptance, just checked. I would rather start straight away to get it over with. Do you think I should stop payments now?
moira717
by moira717 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:42 pm
Thank you oya, wish I had known that. Struggled to make 2 payments yesterday. Won't make any further.
Oya
by Oya » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:43 pm
moira717 wrote:
Thank you oya, wish I had known that. Struggled to make 2 payments yesterday. Won't make any further.

When i had my first telephone interview i was told to offer creditors reduced payment after 30 days expires. The one we informed them ask for 30 day. So i have made reduced payment to all my creditors at the same day same amount 2 days before my 30 days expired. Then when i had a chat with sc i told them although i made reduce payments they still add interest and charges, i was adviced to stop making reduced payments. I advice you talk to sc before you do anything.
moira717
by moira717 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:56 pm
Was told to make lower payments until iva sorted, which has been struggle as offered more than could realistically afford, this before I had made proper budget. Step change def say 2 months after acceptance, just checked. Would rather start earlier just to get done
moira717
by moira717 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:57 pm
Sorry last post posted again as didn't see it come up
Oya
by Oya » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:03 pm
moira717 wrote:
Sorry last post posted again as didn't see it come up

I was told the same.. once iva accepted you dont need to make anymore payments direct to creditors anyway.
luna
by luna » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:20 am
Hi

We didn't make any payments for 6 months and once Stepchange took over had no bother at all, so we saved quite a bit with again no issues as the first review is in a years time.

You never hear of any issues on here with Stepchange from start to finish.

Good luck.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:38 am
luna wrote:
Hi

We didn't make any payments for 6 months and once Stepchange took over had no bother at all, so we saved quite a bit with again no issues as the first review is in a years time.

You never hear of any issues on here with Stepchange from start to finish.

Good luck.

I agree -- Stepchange are rarely complained about and seem to run an IVA fairly well. As long as you don't need the intervention of your supervisor and the IVA is actually proposed by them all is usually OK.
moira717
by moira717 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 pm
Thank you have few payments due this coming week, my proposal was received by step change last Monday so hopefully I will hear of creditors meeting date soon. Think I will hold off on payments then
moira717
by moira717 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:50 pm
Ps having said that just had 2nd phone call this weekend from salamander. I thought once proposal received creditors wouldn't make contact, am I mistaken?
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:04 pm
It will be a call centre and the info may not have been passed down.

You can tell them what you are doing or just hang up.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:06 pm
Calls can go on for a while until the message filters through. As Kallis saya, a lot of these come from call centres who are right at the other end of the chain.
becp
by becp » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:13 pm
kallis3 wrote:
I personally would not pay anything and build up a contingency fund.

I agree with this, once your Iva starts it's hard to build up any savings so start now.
Hope all goes well for you x
31 posts Page 2 of 3
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”