Can i get mortgage while in IVA?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
craig520
by craig520 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:03 pm
My partner and I were looking at moving house, however, the estate agents state that as I have only had my IVA for 1 year I cannot get a mortgage for 6 years. Is this correct? My growing family are struggling for space in the current house we own and cannot wait 6 years to move. We also don't want to move into rented housing as we believe this is a step backwards and not forwards. Hope you can give us some advice on this. Thanks.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:08 pm
Hi,

You are not going to be able to get an mortgage whilst in an IVA, sorry.
craig520
by craig520 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:12 pm
kallis3 wrote:
Hi,

You are not going to be able to get an mortgage whilst in an IVA, sorry.

Thank you for the quick response. It's a shame this wasn't explained when taking the IVA out :(
Ryan
Industry Expert
Contact
by Ryan » Thu May 18, 2017 4:16 pm
Unfortunately IVAs have a very long term impact on Mortgages. Some Lenders will lend 6 years after the IVA began however most will want a longer period of time to have elapsed before they would consider lending.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Thu May 18, 2017 4:18 pm
The IVA is, effectively, declaring yourself insolvent -- this, naturally, destroys your credit rating -- so lenders will not consider you until your rating improves ( 6 years from the start of the IVA). Even then, they have differing criteria ... some will want to wait another 3 - 6 years, some will consider you straight awat and some will never lend to you! When the time comes the services of a good broker, such as Ryan and Shaun ( who both post on forum), will be invaluable.
craig520
by craig520 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:22 pm
I will be definitely seeking the help and advice when the time comes. In a very long time :lol:
2 young children, 2 crazy dogs and ourselves in a 2 bedroom house is definitely not ideal!
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:56 pm
You can always look at renting in the meantime.
craig520
by craig520 » Thu May 18, 2017 5:06 pm
kallis3 wrote:
You can always look at renting in the meantime.

The only issue with that is trying to find someone willing to rent with 2 large American bulldogs lol.
The situation is made worse as my partner has found the house of her dreams within our budget.. typical.
Shaun Vickery
Industry Expert
Contact
by Shaun Vickery » Fri May 19, 2017 9:17 am
I agree with previous posters. I'm afraid that obtaining a mortgage whilst you are in an IVA wouldn't be a realistic possibility in today's market. I hope you manage to sort something out, renting might be your best option albeit I appreciate it isn't your ideal or preferred option.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”