What are the advantages to completing early?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
barney605
by barney605 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:23 pm
I am currently 18 months in on a joint IVA with my wife. It will ultimately be six years long in total assuming there will be no equity release at the end. I will be 55 next month and as such could access 25% of my pension as a lump sum. By coincidence this amount is roughly equal to that still to be paid in the IVA. My question is what are the advantages to completing early? My understanding is that your credit rating remains shot until the end of the six years and you remain on the insolvency register. Is it worth considering or should we sit tight?
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:04 am
Hi. Yes, your credit rating will remain shot ( but you don't want credit anyway :-) ). But, your lives will be your own again. Your income will be yours to do with as you wish and, if you win the lottery or Great Aunt Matilda leaves you her millions, it won't have to be paid to your IP.

On the other side, you will be slightly reducing your pension for the rest of your life to counter a few years IVA payments, so it might cost you more in the long run. Always take professional advice when tinkering with pension pots.

If you do go ahead and draw down a portion of your pension for a F&F you will need to get the agreement in place BEFORE you draw the money down --- otherwise it will be payable into the IVA as a windfall and will be lost to you.
Lisa Thomas
Industry Expert
Contact
by Lisa Thomas » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:29 am
You gain control over your finances again and can relax about any windfalls that might have had to be paid over had the IVA still been in place.

You can also then deal with your assets (property?) if you want to earlier.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”