My debts are coming up on my dad's iva file because of same name initial!

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
tidyu
by tidyu » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:49 pm
Hey everyone,

Just a quick question re IVA's and the credit file and similar names. Long story short, my mum and dad are looking at an IVA but my dad, me and my brother all have the same starting initial - L - and me and my dad share the same date and month of birth, obviously just a different year but bang on 30 years apart, however my full name and my dad's are completely different.

They have gone to an IVA agency who have sent through the fact finding stuff before speaking with an IP and on us looking through the file we've noticed my debts are appearing on dad's name. My mum rang the agency but they are unsure on the process, but my parents are of the view that they would love to leave my debts on their file and have it managed under the IVA to enable me to move out and get a mortgage next year (for the record, I have my own savings plan in place to ensure I'm out of debt next year anyway, but that's intensively saving and besides the point, I just want to make it clear I'm not freeloading)

The question I've got is; would they be allowed to leave this on the file since it's coming up in dad's name even though they are mine? Also, if they were allowed and did so, would it affect me getting a mortgage for the duration of their IVA?

Thanks for your help all!
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:11 pm
No -- you cannot leave your debts incorrectly allocated to your dad's IVA --- for one it is fraud. It could also fail his IVA when it came to light ( which it easily could ). Your credit rating should not be affetced at all as long as you share no joint finances .... save for possible confusion over names again !
Ryan
Industry Expert
Contact
by Ryan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:54 pm
If you speak to the Credit reference agencies (Experian, Equifax and Callcredit/Noddle) they will advise you on how best to dis-associate yourself with each others credit commitments.

Regards
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”