If you are facing message posting problem, please clear your browser cache and cookies. For further assistance and any login problem, please contact us here: https://www.iva.co.uk/contact

First review and partner moving in

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
cbdawg
by cbdawg » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:04 pm
Hi All

Firstly this is a great site, I wish I had found it sooner. Secondly, I know there are other posts regarding this but this i have a few questions I want to expand on and would love some help and advice.

I am just coming up to my first review and I have been asked to fill out a new expenditure form, which I have done. I told them a few months ago my partner would be moving in and I asked what I needed to do, they said that my review was coming up in approx 4 months and it would be dealt with at that time. Is this normal for them to not really jump on this change? What will happen when they ask more details about my partner? I have read they wont ask for her salary etc, but does anyone know what they will and will not expect her to pay for? I have read so much and its a mixed bag of opinions.

To keep things clean, and because its always been my house, I do not ask that she pays for the mortgage etc, but we do split bills and she pays the additional increase in the council tax etc, I have an allowance for food which is quite generous I feel, although we share a fridge, but to keep the iva and bank account transactions clean, she buys her half of the food, from her own monies. It is a bit of a nightmare but its the only thing we can think of to keep it simple on paper.

They have asked for 3 months bank statements, which I have, how indepth do they do into each line item?

Sorry for the barrage of questions :D
Foggy
Forum Expert
by Foggy » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:48 pm
If she was moving in as a partner and shouldering her share of expenses the IP would want to know her salary to be able to calculate her pro rata share of expenses. It would be easier and cleaner if she moved in as a lodger (on paper) and you charge rent to cover the extra expenses -- leave your food allowance as is and she deals with her own food. If you are with Payplan they will expect her to contribute to the IVA paymants, as they calculate on Household, rather than debtors income.

Bank statements are used to verify essential expenses (council tax, mortgage, car insurance, etc.) and income. They won't be looking at what you buy from Aldi or Waitrose.
cbdawg
by cbdawg » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:04 am
Hi foggy, thanks so much for your reply.

How would I approach this with my IP? Call her a lodger or be upfront and say she is my partner?

Also I am not with payplan which helps me I think. I am all for paying my debts, but I do sometimes think their calculations are a little bit and miss.
Foggy
Forum Expert
by Foggy » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:01 am
cbdawg wrote:
Hi foggy, thanks so much for your reply.

How would I approach this with my IP? Call her a lodger or be upfront and say she is my partner?

Also I am not with payplan which helps me I think. I am all for paying my debts, but I do sometimes think their calculations are a little bit and miss.

Personally I would treat her, financially, as a lodger for ease. Maybe someone else who has done this might post.
Michael Peoples
Industry Expert
by Michael Peoples » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:55 am
I agree with Foggy. It makes things simpler if she pays you a set amount and you can then use some of this to offset the increased utility costs and council tax when you do the review. Remember also that while this will increase your surplus income your IVA payments should only go up by half of this extra money.
cbdawg
by cbdawg » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:25 pm
Thank you all so much for your advice, its eased my mind a little. :D
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”