My daughter has 25,000 Debt all in her name, her husband has left her

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
christopher598
by christopher598 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:13 pm
My daughter has 25,000 Debt all in her name ,she has applied for IVA.her husband has left her with all of this problem his he still liable as well as my daughter.he could never get credit under his name it was left to my daughter to apply. Please advice. Thank you.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:21 pm
Hi,

Unfortunately she will be liable for the debts if they are all in her name regardless of who they were for. Is there any property involved?
christopher598
by christopher598 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:32 pm
yes she has a mortgage but its all my daughters name.
christopher598
by christopher598 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:39 pm
my daughter has a mortgage which is in her name and has been for many years before she married just under two years ago.
Michael Peoples
Industry Expert
Contact
by Michael Peoples » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:42 pm
She would have to try and issue proceedings against him to recover the money but this would probably be a waste of time. Unfortunately it is all too common for one party to take on all the debt especially if they have a good credit file and the other spouse does not. Hopefully the IVA sorts things out for her or alternatively he does the honourable thing and helps your daughter repay the debt. This would keep her credit file clean.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:19 pm
If he has no intention of paying, then, possibly, an IVA would be a way forward for her to start again, free of the debt. It is not a quick fix, but would enable her to move forward, in time.
christopher598
by christopher598 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:52 pm
Foggy wrote:
If he has no intention of paying, then, possibly, an IVA would be a way forward for her to start again, free of the debt. It is not a quick fix, but would enable her to move forward, in time.

Many thanks
christopher598
by christopher598 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:53 pm
Michael Peoples wrote:
She would have to try and issue proceedings against him to recover the money but this would probably be a waste of time. Unfortunately it is all too common for one party to take on all the debt especially if they have a good credit file and the other spouse does not. Hopefully the IVA sorts things out for her or alternatively he does the honourable thing and helps your daughter repay the debt. This would keep her credit file clean.

Many thanks
Chris
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”