Update

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
shazj1007
by shazj1007 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:30 am
6 months after completing our Iva we have managed to do a remortgage successfully. I know people recommend using an expert in this field but I couldn't face it, had no problems whatsoever and managed to get a 5 year fixed rate at 2.63%. Kept to our remaining term of 19 years but borrowed an extra 10000 so we can do much needed work on our home. Saving £11 a month on our mortgage and having Over £400 a month extra money in the bank, we are very happy. There is light at the end. Good luck everyone.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:32 am
Well done!!
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:31 am
Well done, Shaz .

Yes, we generally advise consulting an expert broker after an IVA, although, as you have demonstrated, it can be done without. However, I have to say, there is a large element of luck involved when you do "go it alone" as lenders are very inconsistant with their criteria and acceptance rates.
shazj1007
by shazj1007 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:42 am
Thank you. I did a really long detailed post that took me ages, thought I'd posted it but mustn't had done it right!
We have really got ourselves back on our feet and I love having money in my purse. Obviously I'm extremely careful now and don't like spending it!
Never going back to the dark days!
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:56 am
shazj1007 wrote:
Thank you. I did a really long detailed post that took me ages, thought I'd posted it but mustn't had done it right!
We have really got ourselves back on our feet and I love having money in my purse. Obviously I'm extremely careful now and don't like spending it!
Never going back to the dark days!

I have just noticed that I am coming up to 4 years since I made my final payment. I still live as though I am in the IVA --- stick to the budget and, although I do have a credit card, always use cash / debit card. To this day I still owe no-one a penny. I still have my excel spreadsheet and check the account every day. This year I had my first ever "All Inclusive" holiday abroad --- paid for, in full, up front --- have to say I enjoyed it all the more knowibg it was paid for !

Onward and Upward :-)
shazj1007
by shazj1007 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:04 am
It's brilliant isn't it!
Just ordered (and paid for) a new carpet and patio doors and windows that are about to fall out!
So looking forward to our holiday to Scotland that again is paid for and put a decent amount of spends to one side.
Have a credit card but pay it straight away, only because it's a bit easier than trying to move money about on my banking app whilst at the checkout. I like to keep out surplus money separate to our bill money :)
Dave44
by Dave44 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:20 am
Wow !
6 months after completing our Iva we have managed to do a remortgage successfully. I know people recommend using an expert in this field but I couldn't face it, had no problems whatsoever and managed to get a 5 year fixed rate at 2.63%

would you share which lender it was as thats a really good rate after being out of the iva only 6 months ?
Did they know about the IVA just being discharged as well ?

Really appreciate you sharing lenders name - if thats allowed here to help me and possibly others ! :)
Ryan
Industry Expert
Contact
by Ryan » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:05 am
Dave,

We had issues in the past unfortunately when someone mentioned a Lender and then the next week said Lender changed their criteria where Lending following an IVA was concerned. They do monitor things like this forum.

Regards
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”