Can you change IVA companies?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
20 posts Page 1 of 2
Shelly30
by Shelly30 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:27 pm
Hello, I was wondering if it possible to change IVA companies half way through? We started our IVA in November 2014 and have had nothing but problems. We are now at the point of losing confidence in Knightsbridge and don't really know where to turn.
Our original payments were £300 which increased to £400 and at the last review wanted to increase to £530! We tried to reduce this amount by sending the requested evidence to them. No response was received and today I have received a call from them stating we were now in arrears!! I was accused of receiving an email (which I hadn't) detailing the review had taken place and they said we could afford the new payment - when I asked how much the arrears were she started to manually work them out?? Really!! Surely this should be logged on the account.
Short story - I'm 23 weeks pregnant and can do without the stress this company is causing me. I have no idea how we're going to pay the arrears and dread to think how it will go when it comes to me going on maternity leave and pay.
Any advise would be welcomed.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:33 am
Hi,

Sorry to hear of your problems. I'm afraid it's not possible to change companies unless you fail your IVA and start a fresh one.

Phone your company and ask to speak to someone higher up the food chain and ask for proof of your review.
Lisa Thomas
Industry Expert
Contact
by Lisa Thomas » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:07 am
You can't change companies so I'm afraid you are currently stuck with Knightsbridge.

Send them an old fashioned written letter by recorded post asking them for an explanation of the calculations as to the £530 and a copy of the email you did not receive. Then check how they have arrived at their figures. Also explain that you are pregnant and your I&E is going to change again in a few months time.
Shelly30
by Shelly30 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:19 am
Thank you both. I didn't think it was possible but thought I'd ask.

I emailed them yesterday following a very unpleasant call with one of their people who told me we were in arrears (first I'd heard). I rarely lose my temper but had to hang up as she talking to me like I was nothing. The email i sent contained a timeline of dates and details of the correspondence we have had since January this year detailing where I have replied but no response has been received from them. Due to their lack of responses we are now in arrears. I asked for a copy of the email but the girl said she couldn't send it as she didn't send it in the first place, so I've also asked for that email. Due to all of this I've asked for a statement of the account.

I've detailed my maternity leave in the same email and await their response.

I just feel like the account isn't being handled correctly and I'm very frustrated :(
Michael Peoples
Industry Expert
Contact
by Michael Peoples » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:24 am
It may be worth sending a copy of the email directly to your IP as well as those you are dealing with. At least then the IP is aware of this should you need to escalate the matter in the future. Usually though IPs will try and resolve the problems quickly as often they do not know about every case.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:36 am
I agree with Micheal. Make the IP aware directly. After all -- after the formal internal complaints process has been exhausted an escalation to their regulators will be against his / her name (not that of the firm) and any fine levied will his his / her pocket directly too.
Shelly30
by Shelly30 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:53 am
Thank you for the advise. I'll do that today and see what happens.
Lisa Thomas
Industry Expert
Contact
by Lisa Thomas » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:17 am
I would print all the e-mails and still send it by registered post so you have evidence they have received this and can easily escalate to a formal complaint later, if necessary.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:27 am
Agree with Lisa --- back up emails with registered post as this is evidence if dispatch and receipt if required for the purposes of a complaint.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:07 am
She is saying she has not received an email - perhaps Nightsbridge could furnish her with a copy?
Shelly30
by Shelly30 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:40 pm
I have requested a copy of the email on two occassions but haven't received a response as yet. I'm going to print it all off and post recorded as suggested.

I feel like I have a constant battle with this company. An example one of the issues last year was they demanded an RX1 form, something I informed them they had with the original paperwork/proposal. They tried to breach me for it, even though I'd resent the signed document! Doesn't leave us with much faith in them I have to say.

Thank you all for the advise. I'm sure I'll be asking for more in the coming months :roll:
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:45 pm
Check with Land Registry to make sure they received it. It might cost you a couple of quid but might be worth it in the long run.

We're always here for support.
luluj
Forum Expert
Contact
by luluj » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:47 pm
Echo thoughts of others. We had similar experiences and resorted to printing the email trails and sending them recorded delivery.
I would also include a paragraph along the lines of 'if I have not heard back from you in 14 days time I will have no choice other than lodging a formal complaint against you' .... I think you have patient enough now !
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:01 am
Usually the threat of a complaint works wonders!
Lisa Thomas
Industry Expert
Contact
by Lisa Thomas » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:15 am
Just a little mention of the word 'Gateway' should do the trick... ;-)

https://www.gov.uk/complain-about-insol ... actitioner
20 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”