If I wish to claim PPI or similar repayments

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
dave333
by dave333 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:32 pm
If I wish to claim PPI or similar repayments from my creditors (or "ex-creditors" as they are now) are they entitled to deny me if my IVA is completed?
I took it out in 2009 (via Payplan) but due to a family friends help, made an offer in 2011, which was accepted. Can I reclaim any PPI or bank charges that I would have been entitled to if I had not taken out the IVA, or can they just apply what they owe me to what I USED to owe them?
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:43 pm
They cannot refuse to refund PPI on the grounds of the IVA, nor can they keep it to offset the old debt ( though some have done so). However, unless your former IP states that he has no interest in the refunds they belong to the IVA estate to be distributed amongst your former creditors and some of the banks paying back PPI will send it direct to Payplan, which could cause you problems if using a claims company, as they will still want their fee.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:48 pm
It depends on your paperwork - my completion made no mention of PPI but my husbands did. I did contact a well known PPI firm who refused to touch me when they asked if I had been in an IVA.
dave333
by dave333 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:56 pm
Thanks for the responses, I also had a claims company tell me they would want paying even if I didn't get the money myself, hence I won't touch a claims company.

I am going forward with the claims myself, the fact that it was not clear if I would have had as many problems if I WASN'T paying potentially fraudulent PPI sums means I'm comfortable with the ethics of enquiring about any PPI I may have inadvertently paid.

Interestingly, I have already completed the online enquiry with Santander regarding an Alliance & Leicester loan and they've rejected me because MBNA took over A&L and Abbey Credit cards in 2003 (I'm paraphrasing somewhat) :shock: Methinks they have panicked slightly before getting the facts. Tenacity may well pay dividends 8)
Michael Peoples
Industry Expert
Contact
by Michael Peoples » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:38 am
It is certainly worth a try if you are doing it yourself. However, I suggest you speak with Payplan and see if you can get a letter from them first stating they have no interest especially as your IVA was completed as a 'full and final' settlement. It would be galling for you to do all the work and the money then paid to Payplan for them to take a cut and divide the rest among your other creditors.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”