If i apply for IVA, would i loose the car?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
joanna216
by joanna216 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:09 pm
I have a car rental on lease for three years that is essential. If i apply for IVA, would i loose the car? And also what about upgrading a phone?
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:39 pm
From The IVA perspective you would not lose the car as long as it is a modest vehicle. However, you have to think ahead about what will happen when the lease expires, you will not be able to finance any balloon payment or renew the lease. There is often a repossession clause in lease agreements, however, they are not usually triggered. It would be prudent to check with your lease company (perhaps anonymously). I recall Black Horse repossessing once a while back.
Upgrading the phone, when the time comes, should be OK, as long as the monthly phone payment doesn't increase.
luluj
Forum Expert
Contact
by luluj » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:13 pm
You need to check the terms of your car loan / lease as often their is a clause about going insolvent.

I had a similar issue in my iva and had to get the finance company to agree not to take vehicle back - had to demonstrate affordability in the budget.
Lisa Thomas
Industry Expert
Contact
by Lisa Thomas » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:51 pm
it's up to creditors to accept whether you genuinely need that particular car for work and whether they consider the payments to be reasonable.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:20 pm
You may find the finance company may well cancel your lease once they find out about an IVA. Perhaps an anonymous call to the company to find out?

As Foggy says - you should be ok with your phone - I had no problems with O2
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”