Haven't been able to afford to pay my council tax all of the time

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
gordon306
by gordon306 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:56 am
I am about 3.5 years into a iva and haven't been able to afford to pay my council tax all of the time, now they have added the arrears to this years payments i just cant afford it. Can i add arrears to the IVA please advise thanks
Michael Peoples
Industry Expert
Contact
by Michael Peoples » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:10 am
You would not be able to add the debt to the IVA but you need to speak with your IP. They could give you a payment break to catch up or perhaps your payments are set too high in which case a reduction may be appropriate. You need to speak with your IP.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:25 am
Are you getting the full allowance for council tax routine payments in your I&E ? If so, and you still could not meet the council tax then there is something amiss with either the I&E or your spending. I would suggest seeking a payment break for a few months to pay back the arrears (this time will be added back to the end of the IVA). I would also suggest examining the current I&E and checking your overall spending habits.
redboxtree
by redboxtree » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:53 am
You have to be careful with council tax - if arrears continue you could be charged in advance and they no longer allow you to pay monthly.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:05 pm
You could also find they can take you to court and possibly get bailllifs/debt collectors to call.
Lisa Thomas
Industry Expert
Contact
by Lisa Thomas » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:30 pm
You can't add a post IVA debt to an IVA.

However as Foggy points out there must be a reason why you are unable to afford to pay it.

Either your contributions needs a review, have been miscalculated or you are spending outside your means on non-essential items.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”